Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

XILINX Spartan 3E 1600: Problem with serial port and hyperterminal

Status
Not open for further replies.

lefti

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a project and I can't send messages to hyperterminal using the serial port. For example I write a very simple program who prints a message using SDK 13.2 and message is not appeared the first time I program FPGA. I have to program FPGA again and again and then the message appears (it sometimes appears after 20 programmings). The "DONE" LED lights up but hyperterminal shows nothing. When I used Spartan 3E starter kit, I didn't have this problem. Could you help me please? Thanks.

We're missing some information. The spartan does not have a serial port, you must have some other hardware you're not telling us about. Is the FPGA supposed to be sending a message to hyperterminal? Did you design the serial interface in the FPGA? Is your baudrate right? Did you simulate your design?

I mean the DCE port and I use a 9-pin serial cable. The message maybe printed to hyperterminal but after 5 or 20 tries. Braud rate is right.

Have you looked at the signal with an oscilloscope or logic analyser to confirm that it really is right?

You are still not telling us anything. Did you simulate it? Did you look at your signals with a scope (as joelby suggests)? Is your handshaking configured properly? Are your voltage levels correct? What is your "DCE port"? The Spartan does not have a "DCE port", you must have some other hardware you're not telling us about.

He probably means the serial port on the Spartan 3E starter kit he's using. Other than that, yeah, all the above by joelby + barry. ;-)

And in case it didn't register ... DID YOU SIMULATE IT? @_@

Oh yeah, and check your signals with the ole scope for bonus points. Not as if I am repeating things here. :p But hey, stochastically this repetition of the obvious is needed so there you go. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back