Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

X10 Home Automation using PIC16F877

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Zener Regulator

rmcrmc said:
What do you mean with capacitors 400V AC or DC?

Thanks
When capacitors are rated in terms of AC, the rating refers to RMS maximum voltage whereas in DC it refers to the peak maximum voltage.
So 275V AC = 275 * √2 = 388 ≡ 400V peak to peak.

Actually capacitors should be 630V DC. It is 220*2*√2=620Vpp. This is so because if you connect 310V (AC 220Vp) charged capacitor to AC in oposite phase it should whitstand double voltage and it is 620V. Assuming we are connecting empty capacitors to the 220V AC it is enough if capacitor is rated 400V.

Zener Regulator

Thanks for your support.

I have other question:

I trying to use TRIAC MAC16CN or 2N6349A (from ON Semiconductors, I have a lot of them). And the problem is if I try to use 470Ohm and 1N4148 to gate the TRIAC allways "bang" breaks.

To test them, I put the 5V directly to the 470Ohm.

Do you know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks again.

rmcrmc said:
And the problem is if I try to use 470Ohm and 1N4148 to gate the TRIAC allways "bang" breaks.
What do you mean by "Bang" break? Does it blow away or it doesn't fire at all?
What load have you connected to the Triac?

Zener Regulator

I mean it burns and breaks.

I put there a 25W Lamp.

rmcrmc
it will be easier to help you if you post your circuit.

I explain my circuit:

I use only L and N from 220vac.

The upper part is the testing circuit I connect the 5.5V to 470Ohm and the triac burns. I trying to use MAC16CN or 2N6349A from ON Semiconductors.

The low part of the drawing is the modification of the upper one, is the circuit that I want to make.

Can some one explain to me why the TRIAC burns?

Thanks.

First: you missconected M1 and M2. Gate voltage must be applied between M1 and G.
second: M1 should be connected to Neutral (minus) where the MCU is connected.

Zener Regulator

Thanks.

But now something is appening I put 5V on 470Ohm and In the TRIAC (MAC16CN) gate I have 0.65V I think reading PDF of it, it says that it work with this voltage but lamp doesn't turn on.

I don't know what is appening!

I think you should look for enough gate trriger current, not gate voltage. Althought the gate voltage is high enough the gate current is not. Adjust 470Ω resistor until gate current is at least 12mA. Resistor 270Ω should work.

I use BT136 along with 330Ω rsistor in gate circuit.

Zener Regulator

I put as you told me 270Ohm, and it works but only have 120vac on the lamp, is half wave missing?

Or the current is still low (I put 330Ohm and it's the same)?

Thanks.

Zener Regulator

Hi CMOS,
have you solved your "4069 damage problem"
Regards.

H_u_n_t_e_r said:
Hi CMOS,
have you solved your "4069 damage problem"
Regards.
No it still blows up on switch arcing even after connecting schottky clamping diodes to its input. I am searching for solution.....Will let you know if anything works out properly.

Zener Regulator

If you were able to modify the circuit for 220V/50Hz operations, please let me know. If you can, please send the modified circuit to darkore(at)gmail(dot)com.

Borber said:
Rectifier can look like this. Power dissipation of zenner diode is about 0.5W with no load. Max output current is about 100mA and output ripple is about 30mVpp.
Borber, would you please make a explanation about how'd you calculate the Max output DC current of this kind of a power supply? Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.