Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wind Turbine DC Battery Charging Circuit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

myasir786

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Assalam-O-Alaiqum,
i am making a wind turbine with dc permanent magnet generator which has max volt 180V with 3/4hp and 2600RPM, now problem is that i have to make charging circuit which can charge car battery but the problem is that how can i regulate this high voltage to 12 or 13.4V to charge the battery. if any one have any circuit or any body can help me on that so please post your comment.
thank You...

(1) You are right not to hook the battery directly to the generator. It is too risky. 180 V is a high enough voltage that it can spark somewhere inside the battery compartment or near the fill holes, and cause it to explode.

(However you could do it if the output were a lower voltage. Since it is 3/4 HP, this implies there are only a few amps coming from the generator. A car battery will easily swallow this. You would read battery voltage across the battery.)

But there is the hazard of dealing with high voltage, and furthermore it will overcharge the battery if allowed to continue inadvertently.

(2) The best way is to install a DC-to-DC converter after the generator, to convert its output to fewer volts at higher amps.

A workable output figure is 20 to 30 V, in order to overcome the battery voltage and to push amps into it.

If you wish, you can limit the output to 14 or 14.5 V, so as to taper off charging automatically, without overcharging. This is handy if you wish to keep the battery attached to the charger continually.

Assalam-O-Alaiqum,
i am making a wind turbine with dc permanent magnet generator which has max volt 180V with 3/4hp and 2600RPM, now problem is that i have to make charging circuit which can charge car battery but the problem is that how can i regulate this high voltage to 12 or 13.4V to charge the battery. if any one have any circuit or any body can help me on that so please post your comment.
thank You...

I suggest you ask in the right forum - this has nothing to do with Electromagnetic Design and Simulation. The "Power Electronics" forum

https://www.edaboard.com/forums/47/

would be far better.

That said, you are certainly going to need a gearbox, as otherwise your generator will turn too slowly. You should aim to ensure that the flicker rate does not exceed 3 Hz - otherwise it can be a problem to epileptics. So run the turbine blades slowly, and step up the speed with a gearbox.

Unless you have a very good reason for doing this, personally I would not bother. Wind power is a pretty useless form of power. It is only economically viable on a commercial scale (at least here), due to the huge subsidies paid by the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back