Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will a 0.6 mm wire work the same as 22 gauge wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaarel

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have the following problem.
I have to make a coil from 22 gauge wire ( 22 gauge = 0.6438 mm), but I could get only some 0.6 mm wire.
I have to make 8 to 10 turns on a 1/4'' diameter form.
How should I do it, when I want to make it work instead of a 0.6438 mm wire with a 0.6 mm wire?

Re: Problem with my coil

Inductance is a factor of coil diameter, coil length and number of turns. So, if you have a different wire diameter, this should not change the value.

Inductance of air core inductor is defined as

L= (d^2 * n^2)/(18d+40l)

where:

L is inductance in micro Henrys,
d is coil diameter in inches,
l is coil length in inches, and
n is number of turns.

So, with .6mm wire instead of .64mm, there should be no problems.

hello
if you do not suffer from skin effect and the current density is not critical,then yopu can use the wire you mentioned without any problem.
regards

Whatever the case, the 0,6 mm wire will work as fine as the 22 gauge.
The variation of inductance is zero compaired to the fact that it is hand made.
From my experience in building small FM transmitters in the past, the wire size is not so critical when you deal with such small variations.
AS you said:
I have to make 8 to 10 turns on a 1/4'' diameter form.
which means that the variation of inductance from 8 to the 10 turns coil is larger that that from 0,6 to 0,6438 mm wire diameter.

So dont worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back