Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Wiegand to RS-485 converter Ic

Status
Not open for further replies.

freemanantony

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello everybody,
i am trying to convert 26 bit wiegand format to RS-485 format, is there an ic avilable in market which converts wiegand format to rs-485 format? can anyone help me on this?

I'm unaware of a specific device to perform the conversion, although such a device may exist, its existence is a bit irrelevant considering the task can be performed by many of the simplest microcontrollers, at a price most likely considerably less expensive than a specialized device.

A simple microcontroller with a few GPIO lines, interrupt system, a few timers and a UART can easily accomplish the task.

BigDog

Are you referring to the low level, signalling of Weigand which uses two signals? One to indicate a "0" when active and one to indicate a "1" when active? Or, to the higher level, 26 bit, serial format? Or both? Your question is a bit confusing since you refer to to "26 bit wiegand" which is "high level" and RS-485 which is "low level". Are you thinking to map the Weigand "0" and "1" signals to the RS-485 "+" and "-" signals? At a low level, there is no such part since RS-485 requires the two, differential signals to always switch in opposite directions at the same time. However, two possibilities.

1. Use two RS-485 signals. One for the Weigand "0" and one for the Weigand "1". With this scheme, the RS-485 devices are simply level translators.
2. Use the three possible states of a single RS-485 driver and a special receiving scheme. The driver is either "off", "0" or "1". Perhaps a suitable receiver scheme could recognize the three states and convert back to the two Weigand signals.

At a high level, see BigDog above. You will need to create your own higher level format on the single, RS-485 signal. Which is it?

Are you looking for something like this module? https://www.audon.co.uk/wiegand/wie485.html

Last edited:

hey bigdogguru thank you for your time . Analog ground i was referring to the low level signalling of weigand . thanks for the idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back