Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why vco phase noise reduce drastically when using ldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

will_tp

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My vco frequency is 1.3G , phase noise is -130@1MHz using ideal VDD. If using LDO, phase noise is only -117@1MHz. I have check LDO output noise is only 15nv/squar(hz).

Look at this **broken link removed**

This is my vco. this structure is sensitive to vdd noise?

1_1264047519.jpg

are you connecting LDO to your VCO chip/circuit externally? or you are doing simulation only?
If you are connecting LDO externally then link provided by E-Design is good.

LDO is on chip. And I only do simulation.

Is there any decoupling capacitor at the output of your voltage regulator ??? If there isn't , connect proper one conserving stability..

So ,in simulation, with an ideal Voltage source P-N is good but when you put in
a "Model" of a non-ideal Voltage source P-N get worse?

VCO have Kvco in MHz/V right? When the bais for the VCO changes this can effect the value of Fvco. So say a with a model LDO you have:
VDD = 5V + (noise 0.001V*sin(ωt))

If noise gets on to the tuning line, your Fvco = N*Fref + Noise*Kvco

Kvco ~ 10MHz - 60MHz per Volt, & noise ~ 0.1 -10mV --> 1kHz - 600kHz

@ 5V (Ideal VDD) Fvco = 1.3GHz ! --> Grate P-N !
Now with the LDO
@ 5.001 - 4.999V Fvco = 1.30005 - 1.29995 GHz -->Not so great

So any noise in the circuit can cause P-N issues. Using an Ideal VDD is not wise
when modeling circuits that are very noise sensitive.

Cheers

There is nothing per se wrong with a LDO regulator (assuming it is linear, and not a switching regulator). What is probably wrong is the voltage reference inside of the regulator circuit (bandgap, etc). You want to bring that voltage reference outside of the chip thru a series resistor, where you can then hang a 1 uF capacitor to ground on it. This will drop its noise level to a reasonable level.

Status
Not open for further replies.