Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why use magnetic beads for high frequency signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

walkrain

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The day, when doing meter measuring, I use magnetic beads for high-frequency signal, through the book, i know when the high-frequency signal through the magnetic beads, the energy can be converted to heat, and losses. But when i calculate it by circuit analysis theory, i found when HF signal through the magnetic beads, only reduce the peak voltage, it can't changes the frequency of the voltage, so, i want to know since it can't change the frequency of the voltage, why i use it ?

Ferrite beads increase the wire inductance. That increases the impedance of the wire at high frequencies and reduces the high frequency signals passing down the wire. It has nothing to do with heat.

Keith

keith1200rs said:
Ferrite beads increase the wire inductance. That increases the impedance of the wire at high frequencies and reduces the high frequency signals passing down the wire. It has nothing to do with heat.

Keith

I will do a frequency analysis, and thank you for your answer.

keith1200rs said:
Keith

Quotation from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead :
Ferrite beads employ the mechanism of high dissipation of high frequency currents in a ferrite to build high frequency noise suppression devices.

Mad I.D. said:
keith1200rs said:
Keith

Quotation from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead :
Ferrite beads employ the mechanism of high dissipation of high frequency currents in a ferrite to build high frequency noise suppression devices.

You are right, although it depends on the frequency. At lower frequencies the reactance dominates, at higher frequencies the resistance does. Either way, you are unlikely to notice any heat.

It probably makes more sense to view a Ferrite bead as an inductor that turns resistive at very high frequencies. If you start to consider it as something which dissipates energy as heat then you also need to do the same with all resistors, such as in an RC filter, which probably isn't a useful way of analysing things.

Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back