Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why the South Pole of Magnet can affect electron in Hall sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sys_eng

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I thought electrons can only be affected by + or - forces attraction or repulsion of electric charge.

But why the South Hole magnet can affect (absorption) of electrons in Hall effect sensor? what's that mechanism?

There are both kinds of Hall effect sensors - one kind has electrons that are attracted to a magnet and the other where holes are attracted by the magnet (different poles). The mechanism is the same as what happens to a MOSFET device.

There are both kinds of Hall effect sensors - one kind has electrons that are attracted to a magnet and the other where holes are attracted by the magnet (different poles). The mechanism is the same as what happens to a MOSFET device.

I don't understand. In MOSFET, electron current came from voltage difference it has nothing to do with Magnet.

In a MOSFET, the gate is electrically isolated from the channel. An electric field attracts the electrons and varies the channel's characteristics. A magnet performs the same task in a Hall effect device.

In a MOSFET, the gate is electrically isolated from the channel. An electric field attracts the electrons and varies the channel's characteristics. A magnet performs the same task in a Hall effect device.

So, technically speaking electron attracted to + potential or charge. That one I understand.

But electron attracted to South Pole of magnet, i do not understand. Which law or theorem says electron attracted to South Pole??

But electron attracted to South Pole of magnet, i do not understand

A static electron is not affected by a magnetic field (wrong to call south pole of a magnet). A moving electron is equivalent to a current and a current is associated with a magnetic field and this magnetic field interacts with an external magnetic field.

A static or moving electron is affected by an external electric field- the force is in the direction of the field (do not forget about the negative charge) because an electron is always associated with an electric field that interacts with the external electric field.

For a moving electron (the current is in the same direction as the motion- again do not forget about the negative charge) the force, the magnetic field and the velocity are all mutually perpendicular. (left and right hand rules).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back