Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WHY PIC not AVR - your opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

zia.roghani

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
WHY PIC

Hello friends.
can any body tell me why PIC why not AVR.
i really want to know.

Re: WHY PIC

Hi,
If you really think AVR is good enough for your application, you really need not worry about others, it is as simple as that.

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:

WHY PIC

is it AVR the same code runs on all the AVR micro's ?

But PIC support website is better ?

PIC also easier to get into ?

i saw a post on this in some forum somewhere...google about youll find it

Which one is best? PIC or AVR

The fight is to be going on for ever

The actual thing is which one suits your project best?

Think and use one

Nandhu

WHY PIC

Microchip is in the process of aquiring Atmel.
Soon avr will be owned by Microchip.
What will happen then?

I think each micro has its own flavor so depends on your application choose pic,avr or even 8051 remember the project cost is one of the most important thing to consider

WHY PIC

btbass said:
Microchip is in the process of aquiring Atmel.
Soon avr will be owned by Microchip.
What will happen then?

I think Atmel has rejected Microchip 2.3 billion $ suggestion.

Added after 1 minutes:

AVR's architecture is very interesting and powerful but Microchip documents and supports is better.

Why either one?
Which PIC, PIC 10, PIC18, PIC24, PIC32, a huge difference in performance. Almost the same for AVR, from AVRtiny, through MEGA, XMEGA and AVR32.
Somewhat a similar approach. Both are propriety architectures, that means only one manufacturer. In both cases the top end of performance is rather incompatible in software to the smaller devices, PIC32 is very different to the other PICs but Microchip managed to provide a smooth transition within the development tools. Similar is true for AVR32, most definitely incompatible but an attempt from Atmel to provide smooth transition.

Microchip has a wider variety of devices and is more likely to exist in the long term because they managed to stay profitable throughout the difficult years unlike Atmel. AVR is probably the more modern architecture.

In regards to Microchip taking over Atmel, right now it is off the table but Microchip would be stupid to renew the offer they made, as the market value of Atmel is much lower now and the leadership of Microchip is anything but stupid.

Now after commenting to your question, let me ask one myself, why not going to ARM straight away? You can select from multiple vendors if you want an ARM7 microcontroller or the upcoming Cortex-M3.

May be a search to start with would be
https://www.google.com/search?q=ARM7,+CortexM3,+ARM9

The smallest Cortex M3 devices from Luminary or Microchip or 8k Flash devices, there is also an ARM7 from NXP with 8KB Flash, all rather low cost.

Hope that helps, Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back