Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why is there an overshoot in the volatge amplitude?

Status
Not open for further replies.

engrbabar

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a source free parallel RLC circuit with R=1.923 Ohms, L=1H, C=10mF, v(0)=5V DC and i(0)=0A.
The plot of output voltage versus time is shown for t>0.
Can anybody tell what are the reasons for the initial overshoot in the amplitude?

I would say it's due to the high inductance. One way to see the reason is to mathematically solve the circuit and analyze it's behavior (not just with matlab).

I did solve the differential equation and the solution is

v(t) = 10.625exp(-2t) - 5.625exp(-50t)

This is an exponentially decaying function and v(0)=5V. But there is an overshoot upto 9V for small amount of time.For t>0 both inductor and capacitor are going to deliver the stored energy to the resistor so v(t) should decay rather than increase.

So WHY IS THERE THIS OVERSHOOT of 4V?

The overshoot depends on your circuit's quality and damping factors. It seems that your circuit underdumped.
To get a better idea on what is happenning, you could plot the current across the inductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back