Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why gold is used in chips and wires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Golden chip

Hey As per my understanding no gold inside the chip but gold wires are used in bonding as well as the I/O pins will be coated with gold or gold only in some special devices....the main reason is copper is more susceptible to corrosion than gold.
I hope that my answer make sense.

gold wires are used in bonding the pads of the wafer to the external world (IC pin).
it must be at least 99.9999 percent pure. (please note the 4 nines in the decimal place)

protonixs said:
gold wires are used in bonding the pads of the wafer to the external world (IC pin).
it must be at least 99.9999 percent pure. (please note the 4 nines in the decimal place)

why gold has been used for the wires?

ahmed osama said:
protonixs said:

why gold has been used for the wires?

Gold: Gold is used because it is normally inert, is well-suited to the ball bonding process, and demonstrates excellent loop formation and cycle performance. However, in a high heat situation, gold presents problems because it tends to absorb the radiated energy, making it unstable. (This can be a significant problem in aerospace applications.) Gold wire can be stabilized with several different dopants including beryllium and calcium, as well as proprietary materials. Gold wires for ball bonding are normally supplied in the annealed condition to prevent unwanted "break-off" partial annealing that will occur during initial ball formation. The reliability and flexibility of gold wire bonding have made it the most widely used technology in the IC industry.

-----excerpt fr ADVANCE PACKAGING

i hope i was able to answer your question.

Actually gold is used for metal interconnect in GaAs

Golden chip

Also sometimes they dope semiconductor with gold to provide recombination sites to spoil the carrier lifetime - that results in a fast response, but also gives a more leaky semiconductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back