Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why do we use copper pour in circuit and how to add it in Orcad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saeedakhan

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Forum Members,
Why We Use Copper Pour In The Circuit, And How To Add It In Orcad?

copper pour emi

hi

are u new in the electronics?
copper poure is req for the good working conditions for the circuit. for adding the copper poure you have to chose new obstacle and its property shoude be poure and choose the wright layer for it.

orcad copper pour

one reason i can think of is, copper is poured on top and bottom layers of the board and is usually connected to ground at a number of points to acts a shield for EMI.

Some information regarding copper pour,
http://www.sigcon.com/Pubs/news/1_3.htm

copper pour in orcad

it may be used for high current pass in pcb

Re: Copper Pour In Orcad

hi
in high speed design instead op pouring copper it is necessary to have ground planes, which will generally provide the lowest inductance path.
in two layer boards pour helps us to decrease the emi effect on the board.

Re: Copper Pour In Orcad

I think many of us have a misconception about copper pours.......

Copper pours are used mainly for the purposes of

1) Providing low imedance paths (remember that area is inversely proportional to the resistance i.e. impedance)

2) For heat-sinking : Copper poured around the high voltage and high power dissipation circuitry to mainly ward off the heat and thus prevent heat-spots on the board.

3) Expanding point number 1, low impedance is requried in the power and ground distribution systems, right from a sigle layered to a multi-layered pcb. Hence coppers pours are used for providing low imepdance robust power distribution and low impedance obust current return paths on the board layout.

4) Coming to the mechanical aspect i.e. DFM aspect, copper pours are added as solder thieves, for balancing copper distribution on the board to increase the rhtoughput yield etc...

5) Copper pours are used to increase the mechanical and electrical strength of a land/pad or a pin.

Well.....sky is the limit to describe about copper pours.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back