Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why do we need a column decoder and Mux in SRAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

parminder

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, can anyone please answer this basic question.

Hi,

(next time don´t ask the question in the headline. Headline should be short maybe something like "SRAM structure". Then ask the question in your post test)

The address (lines) are binary coded. With 10 address lines (example) you need to access 1024 different SRAM locations.
I see no alternative to using an address decoder.
What´s your idea for an alternative? Give more context.

The same is with MUX.
Somehow you have to route the content of 1024 locations to the one output.
I see no alternative to using a MUX.

Maybe I misunderstood the question...

Klaus

thanks for reply mr klaus, yea you misunderstood i think, i am normally asking the purpose of using them both together in sram because i dont know its usage in sram and i used the word "basic" because people here start giving suggestion that this is very basic ques, dont post these type of ques etc etc.

Hi,

then you have to provide a more clear question / information.

Thus I wrote:
and this was meant seriously. Give links to internet sites or datasheets you have read.

Do you know generally what an address decoder / MUX is?
.. and what they are used for.

Or are you asking only specificly about SRAM? (Both are used in many other devices for similar purpose)

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back