Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which take more time to access address in two different memories of 8byte & 16byte?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahul Sharma

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
which take more time to access address in two different memories of 8byte & 16byte?

If i want to access particular address in two given different memory sizes i.e. 8 byte and 16 byte. Which will take more time any why? How is these decoders works while accessing any memory?

Re: which take more time to access address in two different memories of 8byte & 16by

Do you mean 8 bit and 16 bit or (8 byte and 16 byte)- in the latter case I do not understand the question.

Re: which take more time to access address in two different memories of 8byte & 16by

Hi,

What memory type?
What address bus?
What data bus?
Reading? Writing? Both?

Klaus

Re: which take more time to access address in two different memories of 8byte n 16by

Do you mean 8 bit and 16 bit or (8 byte and 16 byte)- in the latter case I do not understand the question.

Its Kilo-byte.
Suppose i have two different memories, one has its size to be 8 Kbyte and another has 16Kbyte.
I want to access one location (specified by address) on each of the the memory. Which will take more time to access? how does assignment of address is related with the size of memory?

- - - Updated - - -

If i want to access particular address in two given different memory sizes i.e. 8 byte and 16 byte. Which will take more time any why? How is these decoders works while accessing any memory?

Its KB= kilo byte

- - - Updated - - -

both have same data bus . I want to read from one address loacation

Re: which take more time to access address in two different memories of 8byte n 16by

If both has the same number (it won't have in general) of address bus lines, then both will take the same time to access a given location (assuming all other parameters remain the same, most importantly the internal architecture).

With higher capacities, the address lines has to be decoded into CAS and RAS to get to a given byte and larger number of address lines will take longer to decode (assuming other frequency dependent parameters stay the same)

If both has the same number (it won't have in general) of address bus lines, then both will take the same time to access a given location (assuming all other parameters remain the same, most importantly the internal architecture).

With higher capacities, the address lines has to be decoded into CAS and RAS to get to a given byte and larger number of address lines will take longer to decode (assuming other frequency dependent parameters stay the same)

i no where said that address bus lines are same

Hi,

There are so many different types of memory, therefore it is impossible to say a 16kbyte one is slower than a 8kbyte one.

IF... you have a parallel bus
And IF .... you have an async access
And IF ... both devices are from the same memory type
And IF .... both are from the same production batch
And IF .... what else.

Then you might say a 16bit may be some picseconds slower because it has one additional address line to decode.

But with real devices this is not worth to mention.

--> look into datasheets.

Klaus

Hi,

Then you might say a 16bit may be some picseconds slower because it has one additional address line to decode.

But with real devices this is not worth to mention.

--> look into datasheets.

Klaus

I got the answer of my question in your above statement. Yes i am agree with you there can be many types of memories which will decide the delay.

But for a beginner like me, i consider a very normal case of given general memory size.

At this point of time i also want to know- the computer organisation book and also tell me about any notes or book from where i can get the idea of all those things such as- calculation of add. line out of memory size, how to read/write a simple memory and what are all other parameter requires to know before designing Semiconductor memory such as NOR ROM arrays, AND RoM arrays , SRAM and various DRAM etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back