Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which one more suitable by using PIC or ATMEL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aziz92

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi. I want to desing solar tracker by using arduino. Mostly Arduino use an ATHMEL. My lecture ask me to use PIC because mostly you will use it when you work at industry. Can I know from the experience, which is more stable? If I want to use PIC thats mean I can't use an Arduino board interface right?

Re: Which one more suitable by using PIC or ATHMEL?

Hi. I want to desing solar tracker by using arduino. Mostly Arduino use an ATHMEL. My lecture ask me to use PIC because mostly you will use it when you work at industry. Can I know from the experience, which is more stable? If I want to use PIC thats mean I can't use an Arduino board interface right?

Your lecture is top expert in this area I suppose. I dont know for company named Athmel but I know for Atmel. Both Microchip (PIC) and Atmel (AVR) works great.

Do you have some project for industry ?

Look temp range of uC and other parts, looks available I/O, look number resolution and speed of ADC, ...

In industry you should not use Arduino or some Pinguino boards, you should use developed own board dedicated to that job and that purpose. Can you imagine nuclear submarine or power plant where some part is controlled by some Arduino board... :-? You should not base your final product/device on some development board or protoboard panels.

What actually you plan to make ?

Last edited:
Reactions: aziz92

aziz92

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

LOL~

My plan to design automatic solar panel.. I mean, my solar panel will track the sun automatic in 360 degree azimuth and 180 degree zenith angle. For control two servo motor, I searching at the enternet, I found alls usually use an Arduino Board. So, I ask my lecture to use Arduino. For the Arduino, I see it use ATMEL (AVR). My study in PIC. So my lecture said the Atmel (AVR) is harder to understang not at all use it. Normally people use PIC. What is your suggestion?

Looking for you idea to help me about this project.

So my lecture said the Atmel (AVR) is harder to understang not at all use it. Normally people use PIC. What is your suggestion?

What to say after this words from your lecture. :-D Wait just to Alexa hear for this.

In this case, I think best is to change school.

Both PIC and AVR is used in big amount in lots of projects around planet. My opinion that is best for students to use some sirious development board like EasyPIC v7 for PIC (also for AVR other adequate development board) or some other developing own project, and when all is done then make your PCB. Arduino cant give you comfort in developing like some big developing board which have lots of included things.

aziz92

What to say after this words from your lecture. :-D Wait just to Alexa hear for this.
In this case, I think best is to change school.

Good idea.. LOL~ hahahahahaha
sorry for mispell..

Did you know about this project??

For me I give little advance to Atmel because lower price of uC unlike Microchip.

- - - Updated - - -

Good idea.. LOL~ hahahahahaha
sorry for mispell..

Did you know about this project??

Yes, you can search EDABoard thread I think you will find something useful for your needs, if dont I have nice circuits, I will post.

aziz92

Yess.. Thank You for help.. hehehe.

have you had a look at Microchip's low cost (about £20/£30 in UK) microstick boards?
**broken link removed**

they have an onboard programmer/debugger and a header to plug into a breadboard for your own circuits
we find them very useful for computing science and electronic engineering postgraduate and final year undergraduate projects

I know Microchip's but I didn't understand to much in PIC. I prefer to learn Arduino because its can save time to make the hardware for my programming.
FYI, my problem is how to design simulation by using Arduino board. Can you help me?

I think choosing the best microcontroller for the project in also about what you want to learn. If you want to learn about microcontrollers, you should probably use something else than arduino. But if you don't know much about electronics, and just want to build a working device, I think arduino is a good choice. Also for first projects, using Arduino gives you a soft start.

I have used both PIC and Atmel. I have often found Atmel datasheets easier to understand and also they don't seem to have quite as many serious bugs. Often PIC controllers have been cheaper though. I think you can pick either of them or try both, there's not a lot of difference in non-critical applications. Some people say that Atmel is shit or that PIC is shit, but they're just a bunch of old stubborn people (I think your lecturer falls into this category too). If you have a critical application (need fast ADC or clockspeed etc), then you will probably find that one might be better than the other in the specific application.

If your lecturer says that everybody uses PIC and that's why you should too, he is not leaving much room for innovation. If everybody thought like that, nobody would come up with anything new. I just hate that mentality. If I were you, I would choose an Atmel product, was it Arduino or something else, just because I was told not to.

Btw, greetings from Penang :)

There are also solutions like
Arduino compatible PIC.

I think choosing the best microcontroller for the project in also about what you want to learn. If you want to learn about microcontrollers, you should probably use something else than arduino. But if you don't know much about electronics, and just want to build a working device, I think arduino is a good choice. Also for first projects, using Arduino gives you a soft start.

I have used both PIC and Atmel. I have often found Atmel datasheets easier to understand and also they don't seem to have quite as many serious bugs. Often PIC controllers have been cheaper though. I think you can pick either of them or try both, there's not a lot of difference in non-critical applications. Some people say that Atmel is shit or that PIC is shit, but they're just a bunch of old stubborn people (I think your lecturer falls into this category too). If you have a critical application (need fast ADC or clockspeed etc), then you will probably find that one might be better than the other in the specific application.

If your lecturer says that everybody uses PIC and that's why you should too, he is not leaving much room for innovation. If everybody thought like that, nobody would come up with anything new. I just hate that mentality. If I were you, I would choose an Atmel product, was it Arduino or something else, just because I was told not to.

Btw, greetings from Penang :)

Thank You sir.. Now I understand it very much. Can I know how to design an PIC Microcontroller for design an Automatic Solar Tracker. I had find out the circuit and I need someone to help how to make it in simulation. Pleasee

Thank You sir.. Now I understand it very much. Can I know how to design an PIC Microcontroller for design an Automatic Solar Tracker. I had find out the circuit and I need someone to help how to make it in simulation. Pleasee
do you need to design a new PCB for the application at this point? If you are working on a prototype it could be simpler to use a development board such as Microchip's microstick or Explorer 16 and when you have a working system then take it to a PCB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back