Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which metal layer is preferred for clock routing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prithivikumars

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

In 7 metal layer process which metal layer is preferred for clock routing? What is reason?

Prithivi.

Clock Routing

Hi,
I think that the 7 layer is the better to reduce delay and power consumed in the clock tree.

Re: Clock Routing

Hi,

If we route in 7th metal layer we will be having more capacitive effect. It will give more delay right.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Prithivi.

Clock Routing

I 'm not expert in this field. Perhaps I am wrong. There is a compromise. You know that Delays are function of C and R. If we route the 7 th layer we'll have more capcitive effect and less resistif one.

Re: Clock Routing

sometimes top layer are thicker... so just use standard layer and let the router do the stuff for you.
Fred

Clock Routing

first preference goes for power
metal 7 and metal 6 goes for power and remaining higher layers will go for clock routing bcz for higher layers the resistance is less so less ir drop

Bye take care

Clock Routing

Middle routing layers such as 4, 5, and 6 tend to have the same characteristics so the clock can be more predictable on those layers. Also, fewer vias are required to connect to the metal 2 clock pins on the flops. As stated by jedy206, the top layers are sometimes thicker, and as stated by vlsitechnology, the top layers are usually reserved for power.

hi
To route the click signal it is better to route it through inner layer e.g.layer 2 or 4 because it will readiate small amount of electromagnetics wave so it will not create any EMC/EMI issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back