Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which is the Best transistor for Ka-Band MMIC Power Amplifier for Satellite Communication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pusparaga

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to design MMIC Power Amplifier at Ka-Band (27-40) GHz for Satellite Communication application. I am looking for Gallium Nitrate HEMT transistor (GaN HEMT) for the Ka-Band PA design. Which is the best GaN HEMT transistor to obtain best parameters for this band? I have searched lot in the internet and am getting Qorvo company Power Amplifier in this band. But I couldn't get GaN HEMT transistor in this range. Please help me to get best HEMT power transistor in this range.

Hi,

The only number you give is "27...40GHz".

Which is the best girl in the age 27 ... 40? --> It´s impossible to give a good answer.

What do you mean with "best"? Cheapest, smallest, biggest, highest power, lowest noise, highest gain.....
Transmitter, receiver...

Klaus

Yes, it is true. I am looking to design Ka-Band MMIC Power Amplifier at Transmitter side for following specifications.
Saturated Power (Psat) > 35 dBm
Gain (S21) > 25 dB
PAE (Power Added Efficiency) > 25%
Linearity (OP1) > 30 dBm

I have attached Qorvo TGA2594-HM Power Amplifier. In this datasheet, they have given details of Ka-Band Power Amplifier and have not given details which transistor used. How do we get to know what transistor they have used?

Attachments

• TGA2594-HM Data Sheet.pdf
    776.2 KB · Views: 191

According to their product portfolio, Qorvo doesn't offer discrete GaN on SiC (or other technology) transistors with similar spec as a product. In so far there's no missing information.

Do you know any other transistor manufacturer is offering GaN HEMT power transistor in this Ka- Band (26.5 - 40) GHz range.
Even I searched in recent and earlier research published papers, they didn't mention which company transistor they have used.

Last edited:

Do you know any other transistor manufacturer is offering GaN HEMT power transistor in this Ka- Band (26.5 - 40) GHz range.
Even I searched in recent and earlier research published papers, they didn't mention which company transistor they have used.
Suggest any other power transistor manufacturer are manufacturing power transistor in this range for getting following specifications:
Saturated Power (Psat) > 35 dBm
Gain (S21) > 25 dB
PAE (Power Added Efficiency) > 25%
Linearity (OP1) > 30 dBm

Last edited:

I think the transistor you are looking for, was not invented yet.
A real life 9GHz GaN HEMT power transitor have no more than 15dB power gain. At 40GHz would have even less.

I used GaN HEMT of WIN SEMICONDUCTORS CORP to design a PA of X-KU band. I think you can try to design your circuit with it. But, i think it is difficult if you want Gain > 25dB at 40GHz.

I would like to design MMIC Power Amplifier at Ka-Band (27-40) GHz for Satellite Communication application. I am looking for Gallium Nitrate HEMT transistor (GaN HEMT) for the Ka-Band PA design. Which is the best GaN HEMT transistor to obtain best parameters for this band? I have searched lot in the internet and am getting Qorvo company Power Amplifier in this band. But I couldn't get GaN HEMT transistor in this range. Please help me to get best HEMT power transistor in this range.
it is highly unlikely to get a discrete packaged transistor to work as an amplifier over the 27 to 40 GHz range. too many parasitics to achieve such a broadband match.

you MIGHT be able to find a MMIC amplifier that is already matched to do what you want to do

pusparaga

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back