Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which is better language for GUI development

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalyansrinivas

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Which is better language for GUI development

TCL or C++ ,VB or using Matlab

Which will be fast and can be used for porting the bit/sof file into FPGA

Some random opinions:

VB sucks.

C++ is nice. If you want C++ with GUI flavor, consider looking into Qt.

TCL might make sense if you have to script something and there's already a fpga related library for you to program against.

Matlab is nice, but I don't readily see the connection between matlab and your random sequence of words.

So all in all **broken link removed** or Tcl I'd say...

Thanks for the reply

TCL might make sense if you have to script something and there's already a fpga related library for you to program against.

Can u give me some good reference for fpga related library for programming the bit/sof files

Matlab is nice, but I don't readily see the connection between matlab and your random sequence of words

I understand from this is that matlab gui cannot be used for programming the bit/sof files

For FPGA developer learning c++ might be difficult

If i choose tcl , Is tcl based gui is faster and better than c++

Thanks for the reply

Can u give me some good reference for fpga related library for programming the bit/sof files

Not really. What I meant is: fpga tools typically have some tcl APIs. To give an example ... for xilinx ISE I can use chipscope functionality from my tcl scripts.

I understand from this is that matlab gui cannot be used for programming the bit/sof files

I didn't say that. But what I am saying is that it is not the most obvious match. :p
For FPGA developer learning c++ might be difficult

If i choose tcl , Is tcl based gui is faster and better than c++

No. :p

But who cares about "faster" in this context? Is your bit/sof programming done through the medium of an first person shooter? No? Well, then don't worry too much about speed. Tcl/Tk based gui is going to be "slower" than a proper C++ based gui. But who cares. As long as it's fast enough...

And by bit/sof files programming, I assume you mean the files already exist, and you just have to stream them via jtag or something? If so, doesn't that sort of application exist in like 246324 varieties?

You havent really said what context the GUI is in? What do you need it to do? Are you trying to run a GUI on an FPGA?

FPGA vendors have tools that do the programming, and like mrflibble says have TCL apis you can hook into.

Thanks mrflibble for the answer

TrickyDicky : I am looking for developing gui that runs on PC for porting the FPGA bit/sof files and update some parameters like Modulation scheme and Frame length

I want to pass parameters to FPGA via GUI running on PC

is there a reason you have to reporgram the entire FPGA? If you could make modulation scheme and Frame length run time paramters you could simply send the updates via an RS232 link.
Reprogramming the FPGA seems a little extreme.

In which case this one is applicable:

FPGA vendors have tools that do the programming, and like mrflibble says have TCL apis you can hook into.

Just use the fpga vendor provided tools for this. Assuming for the moment they have a tcl api for it you can do your gui in Tcl/Tk.

Another option is to use tool that can be launched from command line with options specifying your file location. They you launch ( exec() / system(/ whatever() ) this command line tool from your gui with the proper options to tell it what files to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back