Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which is best controller to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
deevan said:
hi

I wants to start work on micro controllers please guide me which is the best controller to start work as i am new commer in uc world and which is the best tool for me

Well, that is like asking I need to buy a vehicle, which one should I buy?? The answer depends on where would you like to drive it and the priorities. If I want something to go to school in Ames, Iowa, I would recommend a bicycle; if I want something to drive on the New Jersey Turnpike, I would recommend a Toyota Camry; if I want something to drive from Frankfury to Munchen, I would recommend a Merc and if I want something to drive in New Delhi, I would recommend an army tank!!

I think the right choice would depend on the complexity of your project and the number of I/O's. I would recommend a PIC if you want to make a door opener which will open the door when you sense an object in front of the sensor and then will close it after T seconds where T need not be accurate within 1 microsecond!!

On the other hand, I would recommend an 8051 based design if you are trying to keep the cost low but have to build a lot of logic decisions, use several compare, math, move instructions and still not need something that must have a super blazing scan time. Also, if your application is too complex (like having a color screen, html servers) then beware of the code size barriers. If your data memory exceeds 64 kB, remember you will need to do something more intelligent like paging to be able to use the memory. Also remember that while doing so, you will use more code memory (and execution time) every time you must change pages.

My personal favorite is the ARM7/ARM9 core which gives you much better speed, flexibility and power. I would recommend the GNU tools and look at Philips, Oki, Atmel for single chip solutions. If you need more power, look at the Xscale platform or the Sharp or Samsung platforms. They come with built in LCD controller and RAM etc.. If you want to do something in the Ethernet area, look at Netsilicon who sells ARM core with embedded Ethernet controller and comes with a lot of built in code.

I also like the MSP4xx series from TI. Also look at some of the DSP platforms TI offers. Very powerful.

About tools, I would strongly recommend the GNU tools if you are working on a very low budget. If you can afford to pay over US $6,000 then you have plenty of options. Just announce you have a need and many compiler people will come chasing you.

Good luck and if there is anything you need help with, please ask.

Ajay

PIC (eg 16F84) is a good starting point :

* cheap
* easy to find
* easy to learn (limited asm instruction set)
* easy to succeed a simple program
* fast cycle test/modifysource file/recompile/download hex into Flash EEPROM (especially with ICSP)
* basic programer easy to build with free soft IC-prog
* good pin sink/source (LED direct drive)
* fairly robust against mistreatment
* huge examples, re-usable code and tuts on the web
* many compilers, harder to select one than to find them !
* many Ebooks
* easy to switch to smaller or bigger microchip processor

tgq said:

Indeed! PIC's have the best sink/source capabilities. Also, the built in diode protection gives excellent results against ESD (our products work upto 15 kV of ESD) and also you can easily connect even AC input sensors to the chip.

Ajay

Ajay said:
tgq said:

Indeed! PIC's have the best sink/source capabilities. Also, the built in diode protection gives excellent results against ESD (our products work upto 15 kV of ESD) and also you can easily connect even AC input sensors to the chip.

Ajay

yes ajay you right pic is best chip i realy very much like it now a day i also learning avr but for a starter it is best to learn the pic

Fragrance said:
yes ajay you right pic is best chip i realy very much like it now a day i also learning avr but for a starter it is best to learn the pic

PIC hard and soft is more explicit than AVR, when you want to set a bit you dont have to write '0' , like AVRs sometime :(
datasheets are more explicit (not a must but better than AVRs) or even available !

C51 seriers + keil C is a very goog start kit.

if you are in for a hobby, try microchip pic specially if you country is included in the list of microchip's free sample program, then go for it. the ide is freely downloadable from the website. and there are lots of pic programmer across the net which you can build personally. i would recommend propic2 for the hardware and ic-prog for the software.

but if your country is not included (as in my case), then find which is available in your locality.

in my case, the only available is the atmel uC's so i simply use it. as for the ide, you can download reads51 from rigelcorp.com. for the programmer, atmel has an application note on their website regarding building a programmer.

PIC EASY LEARNING

absolutely 8051 family. many resources that you can get it easily.

Hello,

I suggest the AVR family from ATMEL or the PIC as second suggestion.
Anyway you have to find out a couple of answers:

- Are the chips easy to get (reasonable price?)
- Do you have access to a programmer or can you build one? (AVR programmers are very simple).
- Does the chip have free IDE? (AVRstudio and MPLAP IDE are both excellent).
- Are compilers avaialable ? (I also suggest to start with assembler then move to C).

Finally don't hesitate mush, microcontrollers are fun!

GAM

I am sorry. I am a starter too.
I am confused with all those terms like IDE, programmer, assembler, emulator.......
Could anyone kindly explain their differences?

And if I don't really buy/get one MCU sample. Could I just download a software to try out some MCU programming and get some testing results from the PC screen? Thx

I also started with the pic16f84 and progressed to other devices.

The net is flooded with examples and programmers.

And then the free samples do come in handy...

I started out using family 68HC08 of Motorola. These ones are good to start, are cheap, and easy to learn. But as I see the most popular is the PIC hehe...

Hi,
I think that: 8051 family+C51 Keil only are the best for start. PIC+CSS really are the best for application.

i would say that the 8051 is a good uC to start with. but its up to u. u can also start from PIC. just choose one and then start playing with it. then when u will know alot about it u will progress to another uC.

if u want to start with the 8051 go to **broken link removed**

and if u want to start off with PIC go to http://www.winpicprog.co.uk and http://www.voti.nl/swp/

im sorry i havent tried AVR yet so i cant say anything about it. but feel free to start programming with it[/url]

Hi

I have 15 years expiriance in design microprocessor & micro controller's hardware and software

To start you need to use a fail safe & easy to use controller i can recomend you to use the TI MSP430 & the C language (not Assembler)

long time ago you have to learn assembler lagnuage to program a micro controller/processor ...... but now day most of the micro have limited size C compiler who make the learning job easy task

enjoy

Bobi

supersun said:
I am sorry. I am a starter too.
I am confused with all those terms like IDE, programmer, assembler, emulator.......
Could anyone kindly explain their differences?

And if I don't really buy/get one MCU sample. Could I just download a software to try out some MCU programming and get some testing results from the PC screen? Thx

IDE is Intergrated Deverlopement Enviroment. It is tools for programming with graphic interface, it help programmer to complete the design without difficulty.
emulator is circuit to test your design with ISP ability.
assembler is low-level language. If you want to design the application with the optimal performance, you must consider to write it by assembler.

Thank

Hi Man!!!

Cool so you are a new bird in the uC nest, you are welcome...
See there are many uc's to start off with but i prefer to ask people to pick up the PIC series...PIC 16C54 is COOL!!!
See its got a small instruction set...you can almost mug it up...variety of programmers available and you can build nice boards and apps...

There are also a couple of cute ones from ATMEL...guys have built custom program boards to work with the PC Parallel Port and their projects fit boxes as small as Match Boxes IMAGINE

So i guess pick up PIC or ATMEL they are the MARKET RULERS
8051 is good has lots of features so its very good at the intermediate level that time you can fully exploit it...

i think 51 is good!

Status
Not open for further replies.