Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which do you prefer in analog circuit design ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atmaca123

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Which do you prefer in analog circuit design Voltage output or current output ?

There is nothing like which o/p must be used voltage or current..it depends on ur requirement..
they hav there own advantages and disadvantages..

"voltage" and "current" for different application,for example,current output can use for low implement load.

Whether the op amp output is "voltage" or "current" depends on the relative impedance of the op amp output and the load. When the op amp output impedance is much larger than the load impedance, it tends to be a current source, and vice versa.

For difference case:
"voltage" is for low output resistance and high input resistance;
"current" is for high output resistance and low_input resistance;

I prefer current when designing bias circuit within IC.

alphi said:
"voltage" and "current" for different application

I agree with you this point. But, choosing between current or voltage not only depend on which kind of application, but also which freq. you want to design.
Eg.: when you want to design a high freq. communication system, it's obviously that voltage amplitude is quite small; but for some certain reasons unmatching appears on link or between link or receiver (transmitter) --> a current of very high amplitude certaintly occur --> perhaps burn the link or circuit.
Another example is that people ususlly use current amplifier in power amplifier (from low to high freq.) , usually in last stage, to raise power gain. And voltage amplifier often use in small signal amplifier to make the signal level to some limit before lead to another circuit (amplifier, mixer, demodulator...)

I choose current output when I'm interested in power output. Otherwise, voltage is a criterium!

Two case:
"voltage" is for high input resistance;
"current" is for low_input resistance;

If you can offer special application,I think we can suggest advanced information.

I think it dependences on what you want,then you can make a choice.

you can't take that kind of choises just becase you prefer one or another. To choise if will be "current" or "voltage" you ought to study applications and performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.