Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which CPLDs are better to go for: Xilinx or Altera and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexz

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Which CPLDs are better to go for Xilinx or Altera and why?

Re: Xilinx V/S @ltera

alexz said:
Which CPLDs are better to go for Xilinx or @ltera and why?

Comparing CPLD is not trivial task....
You must include Dev. Software, Support, etc.

Re: Xilinx V/S Altera

First of all you should check which chip is most suited for your design. I do not think that we can say that Altera is alwayst better than Xilinx or vice-versa.

I have noticed that xilinx is much cheaper then altera

Xilinx V/S @ltera

...but harder to obtain in lower quantities; at least here in Canada.

Xilinx V/S @ltera

i dunno which is prefer by industry but for end user like me... i always prefer Altera.

i install the ISE software b4, compare to design software from Altera... it really terrible... Quartus II is really amazing, and it is still keep on upgrading it.

and can be seen from the development board from both Corp, Altera board is always look so nice compare to Xilinx... mayb it's my prejudice... :p

it is just my own opinion anyway....

regards,
sp

jdhar said:
...but harder to obtain in lower quantities; at least here in Canada.

you can order CPLD online from Xilinx web page and they will send them asap. I did that few times without any problem.

Hello alexz, and all,

It isnot always fare to compare without considering what is the exact application you are looking?
couple of factors like
1. what kind of logic/design implimenting ? and
2. Complexity of the design (performance vs Size in gate count)
etc...

In my experience here in india, I found xilinx provides the edge over Altera in terms of Software, Samples, etc

Manjunatha_hv said:
Hello alexz, and all,

It isnot always fare to compare without considering what is the exact application you are looking?
couple of factors like
1. what kind of logic/design implimenting ? and
2. Complexity of the design (performance vs Size in gate count)
etc...

In my experience here in india, I found xilinx provides the edge over @ltera in terms of Software, Samples, etc

It is going to be an address decoder and a freq generator

Have you heard of google.com. Do you know if you type cpld in the search engine you probably can find a lot of stuff about them.

You can always look at the datasheet to draw a comparison. Any of the CPLD from the two companies will do the work just a matter about quantity and price.

Hi,

Choice strong depends on your design and preferences. Some PLD architectures have better logic utilization than others for some specific design.

Also you need to consider worst-case delay, maximal frequency, dynamic power consumption and power dispation, signal integrity, ESD and latchup protection, device and manufacturing costs, board level savings, possible upgrades, PLD reconfiguration time, development tools cost, learaning cost, and etc

So it is not easy to define what is optimal or better for some particular case.

Guys,

Both X & A don't focus on the low end of the PLD spectrum. Look at all the newsgroups, ads, etc. It's all about high speed, number of LE vs. CLB's etc.

On of the PLD vendors that never gave up on CPLD's is Lattice Semiconductor.

Their CPLDs are low cost, have enough features to fit the address decoder that you want to implement, and the software is very comparable with ISE and Quartus. In fact, with the downloadable software you get Precision and Synplify 8.2 - which are top deals for synthesis.

Easily obtainable - even in low quantities.

If I'm following your discussion, it looked like there were only 2 companies selling programmable logic - and this is NOT true.

Best regards

Xilinx V/S @ltera

lattice, alrea, and xilinx are good
but for low end cpld's it doesn't really matter who the vendor is

what about Lattice CPLD?
Such as MACH4000,I think they're amazing
BTW,I'm in China,Lattice CPLD is so cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back