Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where can I buy a PC embedded system to develop Linux apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swanann2000

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Linux embedded

Hi all!!

I want to buy a LOW COST pc embedded system to develop linux applications to test embedded source code.

Where i can find/buy a reliable system based, if it's possible in i386 processor?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Re: Linux embedded

If ure talking abour uCLinux, it can be run under i386 long time ago, If you want a low-cost prototype, and old CPU will do the job as far as it's i386 compatible.

I'm very novice in this kind of thinks, so Im interested to know.

what is the purpose of uClinux ?

uCLinux is a modified Linux Kernel that enables you to embed Linux in arquitectures that doesn't have an MMU, and it has support for many development boards.

It has been ported at least to i386, SPARC, ARM,MIPS.

It has improved the RT primitives that ussually are not enabled in a normal Linux Kernel.

Take a look at the oficial home page:

w_w.uclinux.org/

iIt's a Open_Source project

Algo take a look at eCos, its pretty similar.

://sources.redhat.com/ecos/

It falls under GPL

I think Arcom has some embedded board( x86) with linux inside (I mean with drivers for the embedded hardware), so you can easily develop your application on it in a similar way as on pc.
If yu choose uCLinux (usually with smaller processor) you get som disavantage on programing:
-you don't have memory protection, so if in your program there is an index overflow you don't get the classic "segmentation fault" but someting umpredictable.
-you have to use fork and malloc in a paricular way... read about on uClinux site.

hope can help.
Bye!

Thanks for the replies!!!!

What about Debian embedded? Any processors supported? Some embedded hw supported?

Thanks

Well an embedded system isn't supposed to be a Distribution and works diferent from the normal systems.
It's supposed that in an embedded system is intendet to be a dedicated system, so your aplication will be the only one running on the system, it can do multiple task, but probably you wont find applications for a embedded system.
Take a better look at these:

w.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT4936596231.html

w.ecoscentric.com There's a very cool OggVorbis Music Player developed in eCos

It is not 100% true that you wont find applications for embedded. take a look at www.handhelds.org, there you can find apllications that runs on almost all arm processors (obviously exclude hardware interfacing).
For useing debian embedded you have to adapt it to your own platform.
Bye!

hi,
via EPIA board is good for embedded design, it has lot of support for linux and its cheap( ~100$) and its mini-ITX , u can load its bios with linuxbios and linux on DiskOnChip IDE flash or usb memory stick . another good board is netsilicon net + arm processor board and it can run with uClinux. net + arm board prizes around 99$ for single qty, for large qty it will comes around 60$ another one is axis etrax board, it also a cheap board

regards
indy

If You have a PC ( :eek: which I am sure you must be having), Just install Liniux and start working on IT, Why do you need to buy some thing, that too when you have already mentioned You want to work on Linux application development :oops: ,

Linux Applications are usually Platform indipendent :idea: ,

Status
Not open for further replies.