Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Whats the significance of WiFi certification of WLAN module

Status
Not open for further replies.

explorick

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Wifi certification query

Does any one know what is the significance of WiFi certification of a product named WLAN module. Is it cumpulsory to go for the certification cant we operate the module without certification.
Looking forward for the replies.

Re: Wifi certification query

The certification lets you know that that product meets the
General WiFi Standard, and is compatible with other WiFi products.

Generally, all forms of certification allow a copyrighted symbol to be placed on the product. It is thought by some that this improves the sale to the public if they can see the symbol and be assured that the product will work all of the time.

Is it cumpulsory to get a certification cant we operate WLAN module in a Kit without certification. What will be the outcome if it is not certified??

As long as you comply with government laws and pass the government certification tests you can uses any sort of protocol without any trade organization's permission.

The problem you face is the possibility of the government not certifying a kit built product. There is too much that can go wrong with the building by semiskilled people who do not have the equipment to test the final result.

I want to operate my module in australia. Can you let me know any information known to you or links where australian government restrictions on WLAN devices are presented. Even I dont know what are madatory.

HI, Yes you do not need. BUT if you do not have your not allowed to use the WiFi name in marketing. You only need to declare that your product meets ETS EMC/EMI standards in Europe. Protocol is not important.

Paul.

So i understand that for WLAN product there is no mandatory requirement of Wi-Fi certification. But the product has to obey certain government laws pertaining to the radiocommunications of a country. If it is so can i use WLAN radio and baseband chips and manufacture a module without going to any crtifications and operate it at any place.
Also what are the restrictions on WLAN modules kept by Australian governmentt.

Added after 57 minutes:

I understand that Wi-Fi is only for consumer satisfaction. In my case, I am not targeting consumer market.

a) I would like to know what are the regulatory standards that has to be met for deploying a WLAN product
b) If the chips used by me for realizing the WLAN solution are certified, should I need to go for a certification once again. i.e., assuming I select a chip that has been certified already and I am only doing a minimal RF routing to connect the antenna, will there be a need for re-certification.

Pls. clarify

Hi, I do not know Australian regulations but think they are the same as in Europe. You only have to declare that your products meets international standards and that they do ETSI..... your output power is below the allowed limit (WLAN = 100dBm) and you use a 2.15 dBi = 0 dBd antenna. Als use the frequency range allowed by WLAN.

If you use WLAN chipsets you are fine. Protocol requirements are NOT part of any standard only 802.11 standard but not ETSI !!!.

WiFi is only for consumers, marketing tool !!..

what are the considerations i have to take while going to select a WLAN chip and what will be the tests to be done to the product once if the module is integrated with antenna and chips. Does RF routing may effect the certifications as chips do have an antenna output which has to be routed to antenna through PCB.

hi
yes wi fi certification is mandatory, even it depends upon country to country.

In europe, US this testing is mandatory.

SGS testing labs are no 1 in wi fi testing.

for more information:-

https://www.sgs.com

Does that exist in India

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back