Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What it means when an opamp is described as being able to drive a load of 10nf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Could someone explain what it means when an opamp is described as being able to drive a load of 10nf?

Re: Capacitor as load

It can drive 10nF and it will not oscillate in most cases. To drive more than 10nF it's probable that you'll need to add a compensating capacitor to avoid oscillation.

Well, not exactly ..
To drive a capacitive load means that the output will source or sink enough current to charge or discharge this capacitance in a short period of time to mantain the claimed Slew-rate (V/µs) ..
Regards,
IanP

Capacitor as load

That makes sense as the text of the op amp mentioned that higher loads would reduce the available bandwidth, didn't click in my mind at the time, thanks.
Also real quick, do you know how to derate an op amp's frequency based on that capacitance rateing? The one opamp I was looking at didn't have good parametric data, I'll look it up if need be but I was wondering if there's some simple equation that lets you figure it as percent of load vs percent of possible bandwidth.

generally, a op can't drive very large capacitance,

or its output will oscillate.

if we say a op can drive 10nf load, it means

this op can drive 10nf load without oscillation.

best regards

Sceadwian said:
Could someone explain what it means when an opamp is described as being able to drive a load of 10nf?

usally opamp cant drive a high capacitance as a load bcoz it will reduce the bandwidth, & load should be it will match with the slew rate of opamp

it is not reccomended to use an opamp to drive a high capacitance as a load because yes it will reduce the bandwidth,

Capacitor as load

Why when we drive the big cap, we get oscillation? I think with big cap, we actually move the pole toward the origin, so the opamp should be more stable.

nxing said:
Why when we drive the big cap, we get oscillation? I think with big cap, we actually move the pole toward the origin, so the opamp should be more stable.

Because the pole moved to the orgin by the big load cap is not the main pole of the opamp. This would result in that there are two pole too close to the orgin and oscilation of the opamp will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back