Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the transfer function of a capacitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas00

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I know the impedance of a capacitor can be written as 1/sc

But how about the transfer function(Bode diagram, gain&phase) of a capacitor? I mean if a signal is imposed on one end of the capacitor, how does the output signal at the other end of this capacitor look like?

Your question is mixing up signal flow and circuit representation of a system. To determine a transfer function, you have to define electrical quantities, usually voltages or currents, that act as in- and output signals. Because a capacitor has only two terminals, a transfer function can't be defined without using additional components, that can form a circuit. Or you can define a transfer function between current and voltage, which isn't but another word for impedance.

I know the impedance of a capacitor can be written as 1/sc
But how about the transfer function(Bode diagram, gain&phase) of a capacitor? I mean if a signal is imposed on one end of the capacitor, how does the output signal at the other end of this capacitor look like?

By definition a "transfer function" can be given only for a two-port (four-pole) device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back