Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the purpose of an RTOS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

postar

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Purpose of an RTOS

Hey guys

I'm a new to all this embedded programming and would like an explanation of what the purpose of an RTOS is?

Re: Purpose of an RTOS

Hi!

Basically, the purpose of the RTOS is organisation of multitask operation of your software, and providing determenistic reaction to external events. This means that you always can say that if some event occured, then proper action will run in no more than certain time interval.

RTOS provide such mechanisms as preemptive or/and cooperative task switching, task priorities, semaphores, messages and so on.

RTOS saves the developer's time, freeing him from implementation of schedulers and making program structure more clear.
I'd recommend you to use RTOS if your projects has many separate tasks which have to run with different time intervals or event-driven actions. Otherwise, use of RTOS could make your software more difficult.

Best regards.

Purpose of an RTOS

Is there any tutorials around, where I can learn basics about RTOS.

TIA

Purpose of an RTOS

I want to learn it too. I used to be a hardware(FPGA logic) designer ,any basic books suitable for me?

Thanks,
zcq

Re: Purpose of an RTOS

Hi

Please browse thro the E-books upload and download section . U get lots.

To start with I strongly recomend UCOS-II .

regards
GOpi Pemmasani

Purpose of an RTOS

UCOS-II has been ported to many MCU.You can download for WWW.UCOS-II.COM.And the book,MicroC/os-II The Real-Time Kernel is good for study.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back