Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the main distortion source for an audio amplifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edisonliu

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the main distortion source for the audio amplifier?
The resistors, capacitors or amplifier? Can any body give some suggestion?

audio amplifer

May be the variable gain is the most important !

Re: audio amplifer

edisonliu said:
What is the main distortion source for the audio amplifier?
The resistors, capacitors or amplifier? Can any body give some suggestion?

Are you designing the AMP or is it an IC you're using??? If you're designing it, what kind of amp is it??? A, B, AB, C, etc....???

Hi ,diemilio
I design a class ab amplifier.Do you have some suggestoin.

Hi kivvzhou,
What may cause the gain varying?

audio amplifer

Well,the ability of the output transistors to pump a current over a very small resistive load (4/8/16 Ohms), to create a voltage will determine distortion.

Hence the output driver sizes are usually crucial because the output is a low impedance node. Hence you need a lot of current to cause an appreciable change in the output voltage.

edisonliu,
The main source of distortion is non-linearity in the output stage. For tube amplifiers, the output transformer also contributes to non-linearity.
Class A output stages are the most linear, followed by class AB, class B and class D (Switching).
Non linearity can be reduced by the use of negative feedback.
Regards,
Kral

Always check your output transistors are in the correct bias point (IDC=0 with Vbe just a little bit lower than Vbeon) to avoid crossover!!! This is one of the main sources of distortion.

1. effect of stray and coupling capacitance. At low frequency the coupling capacitance value is high and it appears in series with the signal source. Hence signal loss takes place.
2. Because of change in temperature the transistor Q-point changes which causes distortion in the output signal.

To reduce distortion of class AB amplifier:
1,try to achieve high small signal openloop gain and wide bandwidth.
2,try to increase output MOS size to get enough driver ability .

In fact I use 2 resistors as the feedback(beta) and there is only 10k load.But there is still a second harmotic in the output by test.Why I can not find the second harmotic by the simulation?

edisonliu,
Are you simulating the effects of crossover distortion in the open loop response?. The distortion due to the non-linear Vo/Vin at low output voltages can be severe for a class AB amplifiere. The distortion will be reduced, but not eliminated by the feedback.
Regards,
Kral

karl,
The distortion is larger both for small and high output voltage by testing.I will care the distortion more for higher output. The distortion may be reduced to 1/(beta*gain)/ (beta*gain) from Razavi's book. Is it right?

please i need tolearn how to make maintenance for audio amplifiers please if you have any good book or program about this please put it here

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.