Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the diffreence between AVR and other controllers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhatt_tanmay

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is the diffreence between avr and other controllers?

8051 proc

Hrm ... well that is kind of a question that might get all sort of answers depending on personal preferances. Most of the differances are based on assembler code using by processor arhitecture. Second differances are in instruction per clock cycle, some processors will use more clock cycles for same operation. AVR claims that most of their instructions takes just one clock cycle. As for the 8051 it has clock divider so 8mhz will have 8e6/4 clock cycles. Probably newer 8052 has solved that issue.

Newer PIC have in system usb controller so can be connected to pc or other usb hid devices. That is good feature if you build system for PC usage. Well you can get cheap FT232 usb to uart chip and connect it to uC. But that is one more device on board.

Personaly, i like AVR the most because they are supported by gcc compiler and can be easily programmed from any OS.

Of course this is only comparement of 8-bit proc from 3 mostly used uC arhitectures. There is also motorola, TI, etc.

avr controller board

ScOe said:
Hrm ... well that is kind of a question that might get all sort of answers depending on personal preferances. Most of the differances are based on assembler code using by processor arhitecture. Second differances are in instruction per clock cycle, some processors will use more clock cycles for same operation. AVR claims that most of their instructions takes just one clock cycle. As for the 8051 it has clock divider so 8mhz will have 8e6/4 clock cycles. Probably newer 8052 has solved that issue.

Newer PIC have in system usb controller so can be connected to pc or other usb hid devices. That is good feature if you build system for PC usage. Well you can get cheap FT232 usb to uart chip and connect it to uC. But that is one more device on board.

Personaly, i like AVR the most because they are supported by gcc compiler and can be easily programmed from any OS.

Of course this is only comparement of 8-bit proc from 3 mostly used uC arhitectures. There is also motorola, TI, etc.
I am an old user of 8051,, I want to use avr which one you will seggust me to start with??? the one which is easy to start with and how can i program it?

avr stk schematics

I want to use avr which one you will suggest me to start with???

You should probably take a look at Atmega series. Depending on project, you need to see how much flash memory you need. Also, newer avr have build in debug-wire interface which is great thing for starting as you can see everything that is happening to your program in real application environment. Of course you will need to get programmer that supports in system debug mode.

As for programming i dont know what programming language did you use with 8051, probably asm or C. If you are familiar with C, you can download WinAVR and AVR studio, and that will give you a good developing environment.

If you are not short on budget, you can buy Atmega128 proto board from sparkfun "Development Terminal - ATMega128" and "AVR STK Serial Port Dongle Programmer", and you are ready for playing with AVR.

Regards

top win for avr programmers

ScOe said:
I want to use avr which one you will suggest me to start with???

As for programming i dont know what programming language did you use with 8051, probably asm or C. If you are familiar with C, you can download WinAVR and AVR studio, and that will give you a good developing environment.

If you are not short on budget, you can buy Atmega128 proto board from sparkfun "Development Terminal - ATMega128" and "AVR STK Serial Port Dongle Programmer", and you are ready for playing with AVR.

Regards
Thanks for your kind suggestions, basically I m using Assembly language with 8051. Cant I start with any simple AVR with a simple envirnment on my bredth boad? with some simple componant as experiment bases?

atmega168 experiment board from bulgaria

Cant I start with any simple AVR with a simple envirnment on my bredth boad?

Sure, you can connect few components on breadboard for high voltage parallel programming. You can search google for schematic, but basicaly it contains one 74hc244 and few resistors and diode. Connect that programmer on ISP outputs from avr chip (MISO,MOSI, SCK, RESET). Almost all new avr's has ISP (i'm not sure for Tiny series, 8-pin)

As for chip, my suggestion would be Atmega16, as it have ADC, 3 timers, 3 pwm, ISP and bunch of other stuff and price is not too high.

avr controller and port

Dear Members,
I want to comunicate my AVR to PC through USB.I have heard of FT232 IC for this purpose.Can you please tell me how to communicate? What are the changes to be made in the software?What are the files to be added??
Please suggest me .......

Razesh...

ft232 avr code

@sn_burki,

you can start with atmega16 or atmega32. Try using BSD parallel port porgrammer and AVRStudio for assembly, winAVR for C. But if you know 8051 then why to AVR?. Better go for some 16bit or 32 bit chips withhigher capability.

8052 clock cycle

FT232 is connected to UART, so it is the same process as communicate through standard serial.

If we assume FT232 is connected as stated in datasheet, communication starts by initializing UART bus with standard 8N1 and baud rate (as written in ft232 datasheet).

Next, you need to install PC driver (google for ft232 driver). After that i think that driver will initialize COM port for attached usb device (your board).

To communicate through COM port you need to use (in win) CreateFile, WriteFile WinAPI. On AVR side you will either put Read function in while loop or use UART interrupt.

avr controller

Thanks for your reply !!!!!!
What are the programmers available for Atmega128 Microcontrollers?? I am using AVRStudio with Win AVR as my IDE.
Can I built programmer with my own????Can anyone please provide me the circuit diagram for the programmer.

Rajesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.