Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is the diffirence ?unsigned , std_logic_vector,integer

Status
Not open for further replies.

vvsvv

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
unsigned std_logic_vector

in my vhdl source code ,I use std_logic_vector,
i used a counter to counter number of pels, all the number should be positive number, however, there is nagtive number appear :( ,

what should I do ?
shall I change the data type from std_logic_vector to integer ?

-----------------------------------------
May I use "integer" type in my port declaring?

thank you very much!

unsigned to std_logic_vector

Is there overflow in the counting? Check.

std_logic_vector to integer

what is meaning of "overflow" ? does it mean that the "std_logic_vector(18 downto 0)" have a MAX of
2**19 = 524288 ?

however , the number of my counter should be less than 524288 !?

what should I do ?

thank you!

unsigned versus std_logic_vector

The "std_logic_vector(18 downto 0)" have a MAX of
(2**19 )-1. That is the range is 0 to 524287. You should not exceed beyond this. You can as well use UNSIGNED(18 downto 0).

std_logic_vector unsigned

It's not recommend to use integer type for port declaration. Coz, finally the synthesis tools will convert in to std_logic_vector type for gate-level netlist. Use only std_logic or std_logic_vector on the top module is recommended!.

what is the basic difference between std_logic and unsigned type??

a std_logic is a resolved type with 9 possible states.

an unsigned is a collection of std_logic that represent an unsigned integer
a std_logic_vector is just a collection of std_logic. It could be signed, unsigned, a load of control bits - you just dont know.

They are 2 completly separate types and have to be converted to be interchangable. The typing system is there to make it easier for everyone to know what you are trying to do.,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back