Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is Cipher Feedback (CFB)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: cfb

Hi ,

Cipher feedback (CFB)

The cipher feedback (CFB) mode, a close relative of CBC, makes a block cipher into a self-synchronizing stream cipher. Operation is very similar; in particular, CFB decryption is almost identical to CBC encryption performed in reverse:

C_i = E_K (C_{i-1}) \oplus P_i

P_i = E_K (C_{i-1}) \oplus C_i

C_{0} = \ \mbox{IV}

Image:cfb_encryption.png

Image:cfb_decryption.png

Like CBC mode, changes in the plaintext propagate forever in the ciphertext, and encryption cannot be parallelized. Also like CBC, decryption can be parallelized. When decrypting, a one-bit change in the ciphertext affects two plaintext blocks: a one-bit change in the corresponding plaintext block, and complete corruption of the following plaintext block. Later plaintext blocks are decrypted normally.

Because each stage of the CFB mode depends on the encrypted value of the previous ciphertext XORed with the current plaintext value, a form of pipelining is possible, since the only encryption step which requires the plaintext is the final XOR. This is useful for applications that require low latency between the arrival of plaintext and the output of the corresponding ciphertext, such as certain applications of streaming media.

CFB shares two advantages over CBC mode with the stream cipher modes OFB and CTR: the block cipher is only ever used in the encrypting direction, and the message does not need to be padded to a multiple of the cipher block size.

pls refer the link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_cipher_modes_of_operation#Cipher-block_chaining_.28CBC.29

It may help you.

Thanks..

HAK..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back