Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a temporal window or filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

milad_omidi

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does anybody know what a temporal window or filter is?

temporal window

temporal window is meant window in time domain.
it is a filter too.

temporal rectangular window

Thanks,
I but need more explanation!

temporal rectangular window

Hi Friend, see my clarification:

When the DFT of a sequence is taken, off-bin frequencies leak to some extent into all bins. The result can be, in the general case, a greatly diminished ability to distinguish discrete frequencies from each other when they are close.Leakage can, however, be reduced bymultiplying the signal sequence by a smoothing function called a Window prior to taking the DFT.

Hence, the leakage will be generated due to the discontiuity in time domain. The bigger the discontinuity, the more the leakage. To reduce the effect of spectral leakage, a window function can be used whose amplitude tapers smothly and gradually toward zero at both ends. Applying the window function w(n) to a data sequence x(n) to obtain a windowed sequence xw(n) is better illusterated in the following equation,

xw(n)=x(n) w(n) for n=0,1,2......,N-1

The common window functions are listed as follows (these are not all the types),

1. The rectangular window (no window function):-

WR(n)=1 0≤n≤N-1

2. The triangular window:-

Wtri(n)=1-{|2n-N+1|/(N-1)} 0≤n≤N-1

3. The Hamming window:-

Wham(n)=0.54-0.46 cos(2Πn/(N-1)) 0≤n≤N-1

4. The Hanning window:-

Whn(n)=0.5-0.5 cos(2Πn/(N-1)) 0≤n≤N-1

Now, tell me my friend, is that enough?

temproal window

I know about windowing.
Take a look at this paper:

https://eprints.nuim.ie/1268/1/TWvilling2004_syllableseg.pdf

page 5
right column
first paragraph.

In order to prevent voiced consonants at the start of syllables being incorrectly identified as vowels the vs vector is convolved with a temporal window that causes the largest scoring vowel to suppress smaller vowel scores less than 100ms before or after it as shown in Figure 5.

It says convolving with (not multiplying) temporal window.
Of course this window has a frequency response and acts similar to
common filters. So what is the name temporal here?

Re: temporal window?

Yes my friend, the convolution in time domain corresponds to a multiplication in the frequencey domain!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back