Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a flip drill in PCB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmd4raj

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is flip drill in PCB.....Can anybody explain?

Thanks
Rajan.K

Flip drill

I have never heard of it, but a quick google suggests it is a method of drilling micro-vias where the hole is drilled 50% of the way through from one side then the PCB flipped over and the hole drilled from the other side. I am not sure why. Maybe drill breakage or surface copper damage.

Keith.

Flip drill

Yes...may be its a hardly used or heard term. I too guess it is the process where the wholes are drilled half the way on the PCB. Frankly didnt get the adavantage of such a process. Anyways, you may get better replies from some knowlegeable members. Cheers

Re: Flip drill

Yes...may be its a hardly used or heard term. I too guess it is the process where the wholes are drilled half the way on the PCB. Frankly didnt get the adavantage of such a process. Anyways, you may get better replies from some knowlegeable members. Cheers

The purpose is not different from normal drilling, the flip-drilling is just applied when the ratio between PCB thickness and drill size is over fabricator capability, I mean sometimes we have to use smaller drill size (for BGA,…) than usual that may cause breaking up drill tool. Of course, the cost is much more expensive :razz:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back