Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a bootloader?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcelab

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is bootloader?

what is a bootloader

Hi,
A bootloader is a small program which you program into your microcontroller, which then downloads your firmware to the microcontroller by serial port. This way you no longer need a programmer to program your microcontroller. You just use the bootloader to do this with your microcontroller in the circuit it will be used in. A bootloader can save you a lot of time.
Hope this explains it, but if you have any questions, just ask.
Best wishes,
Robert

18f2550 usb bootloader

BeeBop said:
Hi,
A bootloader is a small program which you program into your microcontroller, which then downloads your firmware to the microcontroller by serial port. This way you no longer need a programmer to program your microcontroller. You just use the bootloader to do this with your microcontroller in the circuit it will be used in. A bootloader can save you a lot of time.
Hope this explains it, but if you have any questions, just ask.
Best wishes,
Robert
Just to add something,

In theory, your bootloader can use any kind of transmission (UART, USB, I2C, or something else) to get the firmware from a host system.

Your microcontroller must have the self-programming ability to be updated by a bootloader.

Cheers,

Re: What is bootloader

Thank you for all solution:D:D:D:D:D

What is bootloader

Hi! Could you tell me does the interface between PIC18fxx50 and PC via USB port still work without bootloader ?
I see one case that the "Add new hardware" doesn't appear when first plug the circuit to PC via USB port, seems that circuit was recognized right away, the name of that project file is ... 18F2550 USB HID CRC IO - no bootloader.c
why no bootloader ???
Thanks !

They forgot to add the most important point, what they say is correct. , but bootloader initialises the internal peripherals of the controller at power ON or hardware reset. Once this bootloader is executed then it calls startup code which initialises the internal stack , RAM and unused memory location and after doing all this the main() is called by startup code.

anybody got a link or tutorial on this? I am in need to to study more on this topic. In PIC, any particular type that can imlement this?Also what compiler is suited for this? i am more familiar with assembly and MikcroC. thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.