Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does ARM actually do ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

faisal78

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is ARM?

:?:
Enlighten me. I have always been wondering what ARM acutally do?
Are they a microprocessor/DSP silicon design/manufacturing company? Or is this a company that does ASIC standard library to be licenced by companies like Intel, Freescale.... etc?

The reason I am asking is, most microprocessor vendors e.g. Intel publish their parts as ARM9 or ARM11 ? Does this mean that Intel buys the core IC (silicon die) and package it?

May I also know who are the competitors to ARM?

Re: What is ARM?

WELL you know there was ACORN .. OH those BRITS /
In the middle of the 80's ACORN decided to compete in the English way against the COMPATIBLE PC's .This little british company designed a new CPU ( NOT COMPATIBLE ) much more advanced than Intel's x86 of those days .Such CPU was designed with a RISC philosophy The machine was cute with new OS and a graphic destop DESKTOP was added.. (i'm trying to remember .. ) So anyways the cute little machine was affordable but well not adopted because once again the lack of programs ..
So anyways the CPU of the little machine was the FIRST ARM chip /
The company decided later to sell it for industrial purposes, To replace the Motorola and other chips The ARM consorcium was born . .The chip has evolved over the years .and it has some dsp capabilities but is not a DSP in the general term is more a general pourpose 32 bits CPU that has also a 16 bit fast mode .called the THUMB mode that allows much more compact code to be written and executed also faster.
A lot o companies sell this chips under the ARM consorcium license
some have escaped their control and are evolving separatly .. Intel bought that division from the now extinct DEC .( remeber the second biggest in the world) well they i think through COMPACT .. well time has passed i used to know all this by heart!

Cheers.

What is ARM?

It's a company whose product is arm core.
It just provide IP not chips.

Try to read about it in the Encyclopedia here:

Advanced RISC Machines (company): **broken link removed**

Acorn RISC Machine: **broken link removed**

Read this page as well: https://www.arm.com/aboutarm/
ARM is the industry's leading provider of 16/32-bit embedded RISC microprocessor solutions. The company licenses its high-performance, low-cost, power-efficient RISC processors, peripherals, and system-on-chip designs to leading international electronics companies. ARM provides its Partners with a total technology solution comprising cores, tools, platforms, and other Intellectual Property (IP) components required in developing a complete system.

It is a company provide 16/32 bits RISC microprocessor core solution.

Besides ARM processor, others embedded microprocessor core are PowerPC, MIPS, Xtensa, etc..

What is ARM?

ARM
ARM is the industry's leading provider of 16/32-bit embedded RISC microprocessor solutions. The company licenses its high-performance, low-cost, power-efficient RISC processors, peripherals, and system-on-chip designs to leading international electronics companies. ARM provides its Partners with a total technology solution comprising cores, tools, platforms, and other Intellectual Property (IP) components required in developing a complete system.

Here is an introduction of ARM. Hope it is usefull for you.

hamvui2005 ....... four years after ............ :idea: (2004--->2008)

Some other cores: PowerPC from IBM, SH from Renesas, Sparc, Mips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back