Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What do I needto program PIC16F84A microcontroller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cisco

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Im need help to start to program the microcontroller for a project but im new a this I just asking where should I start or what software should I use and where to get the components to send the data to the microcontroller?

This is simplest and fastest to build programmer for PIC16F84 :

Schematic.gifScreenShot.png

Attachments

• PICProg 1.3.zip
    171 KB · Views: 90

Hi,

If its just a one off programming then by all means try TPETARs suggestion if you have got a serial port.

If you have only USB ports or are possibly looking to do more programming of different Pic chips then consider the ready made Microchip Pickit 2 programmer .

@tpetar what comuter port cable should I use?

Ok and can I use a 5.1V zener diode instead of using the 5.6V or will have some bad affect on the chip?

Ok and can I use a 5.1V zener diode instead of using the 5.6V or will have some bad affect on the chip?
Yeah sure..5.6 or 5.1 is just to protect the chip from excess voltages above 5.0 volts
Cheers

Different computers may have difference in port voltages.
5.6v zener gives good margin. You can go with 5.1V zener and try it for your computer to see if it works. But for working flawless for all supported devices with this programing device i will suggest to use 5.6V zeners.They are dirt cheap to buy and found everywhere.

Ok I got the circuit built but im unable to get it too work, do I need to apply a power supply to the chip?

Ok I got the circuit built but im unable to get it too work, do I need to apply a power supply to the chip?

Did You make all like circuit ? Or You have some improvisation with zeners and other components?

Make all exact like given circuit! Work 100%

PIC get voltage from RS232 no need for external power supply.

Do You use laptop or desktop pc?

I use 5.0 zenerdiode, maybe thats my problem , but I used a desktop.

I use 5.0 zenerdiode, maybe thats my problem , but I used a desktop.

Make this like circuit. If You whant to play with microcontrollers and other electronics things, there is no space for exibitions.

First make this like circuit to make this to work, then You can experiment.;-)

This is very very simple circuit, if You dont have skills better make this with some help.

Always use desktop PC if there instead of laptop or notebook, for programming microcontrollers.

Last edited:

Alright thanks for the help ill do it with a 5.6 diode
And see how it goes

Status
Not open for further replies.