Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What DIP package to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgrant3

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.

I may have posted this in the incorrect forum so apologies if this is so.

I'd like to canvas people's opinions on what DIP package is best to use. My CMOS IC will be 5 mm of 5 mm in size onto which I will have some basic microfluidics. I plan on using a DIP package for this chip and was thinking of the side brazed variety. Does this architecture sound good?

Also I'll have several chips to work with so I want to adopt a plug and play approach when it comes to mounting the DIP package to my PCB. I'm thinking of using a Zero-Insertion-Force (ZIP) socket. Again I ask is this a good idea?

Does anyone have any good guides to packaging of chips, interfacing chips with PCBs etc?

Thanks,

James

Sidebrazed ceramic DIP is fine - tell them not to solder the lid on so you can get access to the die. They can tape the lid on.

ZIF is OK, but the more connectors, etc that you put between the IC and the external circuit the more capacitance and parasitic inductance you have. ZIF would be fine for DC signals or low-frequency (<1MHZ) but if you have high-frequency clocks or high-frequency analog you may just want to solder each IC to the board.

It's easier to make 20 hardwired boards than it is to spend weeks debugging a fake noise problem.

This place can advise you on ceramic DIP assembly, as well as give you the blank bond diagrams for you to draw your bondout diagram.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back