Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are the applications of flip flops types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhineet22

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
as we all know that about flip flops, can any one tell me why 4 types of flip flop is used .and only one will not be sufficient.tell me any specific application where a specific flip flop is used.

Re: flip flops types?

From the little experience that I know you cn derivate a Flip-Flop from other dont remember exactlywhat replaces the other, but you will use what feet your need, pheraphs you will only need one behaviour for your application, and is by that you choose that specific Flip-Flop, but also you can use the other "superior" that is the more general Flip-Flop and connect it in a way that give the outputs of the specific Flip-Flop, and the behaviour will be the same, look carefully each Flip-Flop behaviour is near to other Flip-Flop, but the Flip-Flops become more specific or generalized in his behaviour.

Dont know exact general examples of them ;).

Some applications of flip-flops:
RS = simple SPDT
T = simple counters, reverse counters
D = shift registers (serial/parallel)
JK = synchronus binary/decimal counters
A lot of useful info on logic devices you can find here:
**broken link removed**

Hello, Abhineet22.

Well, about "Why are there more than just one Flip Flop", I think is for convenience.

For example, if you need a circuit where you want the output to be the same as the input, is better to use a D-Flip Flop, because you'll need less connections to make compared to a J-K FF where to acomplish the same you'll need to connect the input directly to the J pin, and through an inverter to the K pin (so you save space in your circuit and money, eliminating this "inverter", when using the D-Flip Flop).

Once in the university a proffesor told my class:
"D-Flip Flops use less transistors, so they are useful in integrated circuits. While JK FF are more versatile, so they are better to use in circuits with discrete elements".

Hope this helps.

Regards. 8)

hi
to know more about flip flop
u must learn about how the devices work
especially the devices which calculate the frequency
and which change the voltage to frequency

it depend on the T flip flop
to change its state every clock cycle

and if u wanna know about D flip flop type
u can download adatasheet of flash analoge to digital converter
they use D flip flop to take a sample (sampling)
every clock u can get a sample to out put

i hope that help u

Only one can suffice since others can be made from this one by using additional combo logic but then it calls for additional combo logic.
in the present space hungry vlsi scenario this wont be a sane idea to use a logic which is bigger when the smaller option is available ;-))

You can do anything from just a D flip-flip... I always use this.

Well , you are right even a single flip flop will suffice.
Remember we can make other flip flops from any one flip flop .

But if you actually look into the architecture of flip flops,its just some connections changes make each flip flop different from others.

Each flip flop has its own utility for some specific jobs.

Each has its pros and cons too. !!!

And hey ,by the way some one said " Variety is the spice of LIFE " !!!!

D flip flop is very good for most of the applications

flip flops types?

Because each of them has specific characteristics which made them suitable for each application. for example D and T filpflop is appropiat for conters. But jK and Rs filpflops is suitable when you want your data be latched.

flip flops types?

in FPGA ,there only have DFFs

Ok we have 4 types of flip flops because it saves space and number of chips incorporated in the design. you can make toggle flip flop from d flip-flop(by means of exclusive or gate) but than you use two chips Xor gate and D F/F. Same thing with J/K F/F.

See the Kral 05 Jul 2005 8:30 reply to the post topic "How a LATCH different from FLIPFLOP?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back