Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] we want to go wireless at home. We had Hughes.net sattalite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thudpucker

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We have two PC's in the house. What do we need to go wireless?
Do we have to buy the pieces from the (Verizon etc?) or can we buy that seperatly and sign up for the service seperately.

If any of you had a service and didnt like it, please tell me why so I can make better choices.

you need to buy wireless router, and install wireless network card in your computer. You can ask the technical support from the router vendor.

Many vendors of telephone DSL service will give you an interface electronic box that has 802.11 outputs for computers. They usually also have ethernet outputs. I would suggest for security reasons to have a cabled network wherever you can.

Thanks guys for all the tips. I'm still pretty confused.
We had Hughes net. The Modem broke down. (Power supply is being crow barred) and they want me to pay for a service call to replace the modem.
$150 for what????
I've had enough to do with Hughes net. For a communication company, they dont seem to know how to communicate with customers.

I dont know what WIFI is. I'll look into it.
We have Cell phones with Verizon but they want me to buy a $99 USB adaptor for each PC. I wonder if I need another piece of hardware in the house for those USB adaptors to 'talk' with?

Use one network cable link two computer. Lowest cost.

If there is no much distance then use Network Cable as said by Tony.

Just got off the phone again with Hughes.net.
First call---India or Pakistan
2nd Alabama
3rd Portland OR
4th Portland OR
5th India or Pakistan
6th India or Pakistan
7th-----Dont know where that one went to, but the recording said my wait woud be 15 minutes.
Pee on that. I'll talk to an American in the Head Shed or quit it completely.

Hughes net and probably some other Comm companies that use the Foreigners for Tech Support are probably OK as long as nothing goes wrong.
But then....they are like dealing with a Divorce lawyer. Nothing goes right and nothing gets solved without a lot of maningless rhetoric and Verbal Blasting.

Even the Kid at Verizon dont know how to explain his product without confusing me.

I am so frustrated with Hughes.net.
Our internet has been down for a month now.
Yesterday we got a new HN 9000 modem and the 'radio' out at the Satellite.

So after nearly two hours of Level II support the tech got us up.
Fine, they left, the internet stayed up for about two hours and went down again.

Now the new modem wont work if any of the Ethernet cables or switch is plugged in.
It will only work if the modem is plugged directly to my PC.

It seems that the part of Alabama I'm in, can only be serviced by Hughes.net and their sattallite program.

There must be some way to connect by Wireless from way out here in east mule shoe gulch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back