Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wave number definition for TEM mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

yefj

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I have a problem visualizeing the following claim.
K is a wave number the phase change as the wave propagates.
i am having trouble imagening the wave.
Why the transversverse components of the wave are zero for tem?
Thanks.

1676401368429.png

To be hones I am not able to understand what is written in equation as in TEM wave electric and magnetic fields propagate perpendicular to each other and both propagate perpendicular to the direction of wave and it is very easy to visualize as well

Hello Nomigoraya, in electromagnetic thery we have beta=sqrt(k^2-k_t^2)
in TEM wave it propagates in Z direction, we have E,H field pointed only in X,Y directions.
Why in this case k_t=0?

Hello yefj,

You are asking why the transverse wavenumber is zero: i.e., why there is no phase variation in the fields in the transverse plane. We know that by definition, there must be zero longitudinal fields. However, if there were transverse phase variations, Maxwell's equations (particularly Faraday's and Ampere's laws) suggest that there will exist longitudinal field components. Therefore, there must be no transverse phase variations.

Reactions: yefj

yefj

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back