Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wantinng to learn microcontrollers and have questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbs87

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
learn micro controllers

I want to learn PIC microcontrollers and am a complete newbie. I know a bit of C and digital electronics but that's about it.

In terms of book to learn micontrollers, is there any that focus on C and that are beginner friendly? is there any on Amazon youw ould recommend https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_...s=pic+microcontroller&x=0&y=0&sprefix=pic+mic

And as for the microcontroller kit, I am thinking of the PICKIT 1 or 2 not sure what the difference between the 2 is: https://www.microchipdirect.com/Pro...icrochip&Category=Starter Kits&mid=1&treeid=6 Good idea or bad? I don't want to solder anything. If you have any other recommendations, I would be glad to hear them.

Regards,
Joshua Sebastian

Hello!

Before buying a board, you may need to think about what you want to do with it.
To be frank, I don't know about PICs. Other makers also provide cheap kits,
but the problem is that you might be limited to applications like blinking a LED.
That's good, but you may be frustrated quickly.

Some ideas:
- How many digital I/Os do you need?
- How many UARTs / I2C
- Do you need a microcontroller with integrated USB?
- Do you need analog inputs? If yes how many?
- Do you need analog outputs?
- Do you need an LCD? Character? Graphic?

Etc... Once you replied to these questions, check the specs.

Dora.

jbs87 said:
I want to learn PIC microcontrollers and am a complete newbie. I know a bit of C and digital electronics but that's about it.

In terms of book to learn micontrollers, is there any that focus on C and that are beginner friendly? is there any on Amazon youw ould recommend https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_...s=pic+microcontroller&x=0&y=0&sprefix=pic+mic

And as for the microcontroller kit, I am thinking of the PICKIT 1 or 2 not sure what the difference between the 2 is: https://www.microchipdirect.com/Pro...icrochip&Category=Starter Kits&mid=1&treeid=6 Good idea or bad? I don't want to solder anything. If you have any other recommendations, I would be glad to hear them.

Regards,
Joshua Sebastian

Hi,

I'm not a C man but when I had a look the book ' C for Dummies ' it seemed very clear, whereas many other books assume you already know so much.

Rather than just read about it, simply download Microchips MPLAB IDE and HI-TECH PICC™ LITE C and /or C18 complier - they are all free - you can then follow the included Microchips tutorials to get you going with both MPLAB and their comillers.
The Hi tec works on the Pic 16F chips while the C18 is for the Pic 18F chips.

As for your hardware, forget Pikit1 - is almost obselete.
The Pickit2 has several variants - the PK2 Debugger with a little board containing a 16F chip is a good kit. If you want a PK2 to do 18F on a ready made board then DM164124 - PIC18F4xK20 Starter Kit is the one to look at.

The new Pickit3 Debugger board also has a Pic18F chip on it.

However you say you do not want to do any soldering - a little unusual - ? - so to do anything more with the Pickit debuggers, even if expanding them with a breadboard may need a little bit of soldering - though the Pic18F Starter kit has much more on board.

If soldering if a problem and you want something with much more potential to expand then perphaps something like the MikroE boards with thier many plug in accessories might be the better way for you - but look into their C complier which does have a some disadvantages, so I 'm told.

Status
Not open for further replies.