Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Want to learn "Charging Batteries" Concepts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enrique15

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello again, fellows.

I need your help this time in finding on internet information about "Charging batteries" process.

I want to know what specific issues are related to this matter. What is needed to charge a battery. Does it need a regular and accurate charging period, etc...

If it's related to "car batteries", the better. Because I want to know how works the process of charging the car battery with the alternator:

--> Is the battery just connected to the alternator? Or does it has a circuit attached to control the battery charging???

I want to know this, so I can notice if it's difficult or not to make a project of an electric motor that charges its own feeder (the battery that feeds the motor) throu the motor's self operation (the rotation that makes the alternator spin and generate voltage for the battery).

Do I need to learn A LOT to accomplish such kind of project ???
Is it possible to do a "self feeded" motor, as I planned ?

I'll wait for your suggestions.
And thanks for your time.

See you later. :)

About car's charging system:
A car's charging system is composed of an alternator (or DC generator), a voltage regulator, battery and indicator light or gauge. While the engine is running, it's purpose is to provide power for the car's electrical load, e.g., ignition, lighting, accessories, etc., and to recharge the car's battery.
Open Circuit Approximate Average Cell
Battery Voltage State-of-charge Specific Gravity
12.65+ 100% 1.265+
12.45 75% 1.225
12.24 50% 1.190
12.06 25% 1.155
11.89 0% 1.120
In your case you will need a circuit to propery charge the battery. You don't want to overcharge it, so this circuit has to limit charging current after battery riches certain voltage.
Here is an example of such a circuit:
https://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/charger1.htm
Obviously, you don't need this section with mains transformer.

Good luck and regards,
IanP

Enrique15

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks IanP for the help. :D

But just a few questions:

1. About the circuit of the page: https://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/charger1.htm
There it says that:
The charger delivers full current until the current drawn by the battery falls to 150 mA. At this time, a lower voltage is applied to finish off and keep from over charging
How does the circuit lowers the voltage, or current ???

2. Can I use this circuit with any other type of battery (not only cars batteries) ??

3. The "charge" process depends only of the battery and the OpAmp comparator?? It doesn't need any "capacitors" or "timer circuit" to control the time of charging??
In other words: the charging process does not involve a "time control", but just a "voltage control" ??

Sorry for being so annoying. Is just that I'm new in this "battery charge" concept, and I want to handle it the best I can, so I can work in some projects about charging batteries to auto-sustain a system.

Thanks for the help!!! :)

Regards.

Initially this charger delivers approximately 3A of current (current limit of LM350). At this current, voltage at the opamp output (working as comparator) is high.
In the end of charging process the charging current drops down and at certain level (here it says 150mA) the opamp's output changes to low, and lowers the output voltage of the 350 regulator through R6.
At this stage there will be, so called, trickle current ( on trickle charging some more info here: https://www.qsl.net/ke3fl/htm/TRICKLE.HTM ) charging the battery (through U1 and R1), but it will be just to sustain battery in fully charged state.

It looks this circuit has been design for lead-acid car batteries, and, I think, it should be used only for this type of batteries.

With this circuit "time control" is not an issue, but you may find circuits that deliver set current without electronic regulation, and some of them will be fitted with a timer to prevent overcharging.

Regards,
IanP

Take a look at BQ2031 from Texas Instruments. It will save you a lot of time.

bimbla.

Thanks IanP fror the additional information.
I really want to learn all important matters about charging batteries.
Maybe it isn't as difficult or complicated as I thought, but I want to be sure.
I don't know if I'm right, but I always thought the "battery charge" is similar to "charging a capacitor": it starts with a high current, that after a time it drops to smaller values.

And thanks, bimbla, for the information about the BQ2031. I'll read the PDF-file information about it and see how much can I learn.

Sorry for answering so late. It's just that I didn't have the time to check your answers in the past days.
Now I'll check all what you've gave me here.

Thanks a lot again for all your help.

Regards. :D

hi plese go through the "boyelstad book on basic electronics chapter 1 it has explained these things in quiet details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back