Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Want to control 220v AC

Status
Not open for further replies.

vishal.singh

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to control 220v AC. Suggest me how to do that by using solid state relay and without using any relay.

Last edited:

I want to control 220v AC.
Controlling of AC is a vague function. You want to control AC for what ?
For a lamp, for a motor, for a power supply or what you will run on the controlled AC?

I want to control AC for a lamp with the help of micro controller .

use a relay, a cube type relay of 6, 12 , or 24 VDC should be suitable, since you have not mentioned the AC load that you need to control, I cannot give you specifics..

See the attached schematic, the micro-controller used, runs on +5VDC supply, the relay voltage is assumed to run on +12VDC.

thanks
a

I need to control 220v AC 5 amp & 220v AC 16 amp, and help me in selecting the relay of small size and low cost..

Last edited:

relay selection will also depend on the no. of contacts required....

See this link for OEN relays, they have a very good range of relays, I think a good shop will have some of these in stock..

**broken link removed**

With triacs like BTA12/600 or BTA41 you can switch loads upto 20 amps AC eliminating the need of any bulkier electromagnetic relays. But triacs will require a good heatsink.

You can use BTA16 triac with an optocoupler. Your microcontroller will trigger the optocoupler which will trigger the triac. BTA16 can pass 16A current, which is sufficient for your load.

This is how you can Isolate AC and DC.

Naveed

Hello!

If you want the least trouble solution, you can use a phototriac.
I use a sharp S216S02. The LED is inside, so you just need a resistor
to control the LED. It has a zero crossing functionality, etc...

I use it with an oven toaster for SMD soldering, and this without
heatsink. The oven toaster draws about 10 A at 100 V (I'm in Japan).
The device becomes a little bit hot, so I suppose you would need
a heat sink if you use it with greater currents. This device can stand
600 V.

Dora.

It's very interesting. But I can't find S216S02 in Viet Nam. So I don't know about it.

The oven toaster draws about 10 A at 100 V (I'm in Japan).
The device becomes a little bit hot, so I suppose you would need
a heat sink
if you use it with greater currents.
Sounds like a good guess. Look what the datasheet says about current rating without a heatsink:

I have used solid stat relay it is easy to use but costly in india
i never used triac can any one explain how to use it with microcontroller ? what is the price in india and which one is available

It's control as easily as relay.And in Viet Nam.It's cost 0.5$
electronique_triac_001e.gif

I have used solid stat relay it is easy to use but costly in india
i never used triac can any one explain how to use it with microcontroller ? what is the price in india and which one is available

I am attaching the schematic of solid state relay which uses opto-isolator and triac. Please use heat sink with triac!!

81_1318256434.jpg

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:21 ----------

Shamikruda,

The circuits which are posted by me and hongphus can be used with microcontroller. What you need to do is to connect your microcontroller's port with opto-coupler Vcc. You can turn on/off solid state relay by giving 1/0 at your microcontroller port respectively.

This will turn on/off optocoupler IR LED which will then turn on the triac.

I know opto isoleters is it necessary to connect moc3041 ? can i use any other? what is the part no of triac?

Its not necessary to use MOC3041 , you can also use MOC3021 or any other which is available/compatible. The part number for triac is BTA16(if you want to drive 16A AC load) , it depends on your load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back