Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Volume Potentiometer Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmylee

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, all
I want to clean a scratchy volume pot on my new PRS SE. Getting a tip: knobs without screws or hex keys just pop off when you pull them, because they rely on a tight fit to hold onto the pot shaft (source from How to Clean Potentiometer?), but I can't find a hex key that holds the volume knob itself onto the potentiometer. thus, how do you remove them to clean them?

Is there anyone have ideas of it? Thank you in advance.

There are metric and imperial keys; else you are suggeted to use a small regular screwdriver to turn the hex key inside the knob. Else one can fashion a key using a small grinder (a dremel will do). Some are metric but some are imperial and you need to check after filing a little bit. It is crude but it works. If you have a decent vernier calipers or a screw gauge, it helps.

Hi,

What is an "PRS SE"? From internet search I find guitars?

You write "new", so you should have some guarantee.

Why don´t you post a photo?

Klaus

It isn't clear whether you are looking for a tiny hex key or the knob is secured by some other method. The usual knob mountings are by using a split splined shaft, in which case it will pull off if given enough force, grub screw as you described or by a collet. If it's a collet type, the cap at the top of the knob will pull off (you might have to slide something under its edge) and beneath it is a screw slot that pulls the insert so it grips the shaft.

Brian.

Thank you for the replies..
It’s about PRS SE Pauls guitar volume adjustment, someone suggested me spray some deoxit d5 to the volume pot from the side, and let it penitrate for a few minutes while spin the volume knob, or spray the pots from the pot cavity side as well.

I would advise against spraying anything into the control. If it has become noisy (crackles as it is turned) it generally means either there is some contaminant between the wiper and the track or the track itself has become damaged. The shaft mechanism will be greased to make it turn freely and any solvent may wash the grease on to the track and make matters far worse.

Consider that a new control is very inexpensive before considering repair.

If you do need to repair it, I would remove it from the guitar first then open it up and inspect the track and wiper. Usually there are metal 'wings' folded over the body to keep it together, gently fold them upright and the body should detach from the shell. You can then clean the track and wiper without damaging the other parts. Clean the track with a non-oily solvent (alcohol etc) by wiping it with a paper towel. Then hold a thin sliver of paper against the track and move the wiper over it several times, the abrasion against the paper will clean it.

Brian.

A new guitar won't have a scratchy volume pot. A "popular" way to get scratchy pot operation is to connect a faulty amplifier or effect that sends a DC voltage down the cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back