Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage to Frequency Converter LM331 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

syee10

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I had construct a voltage to frequency converter using LM331. The circuit can be found in Figure 3 in the LM331 datasheet which you can found it at **broken link removed**

I use Proteus to simulate through the circuit and it works fine with a DC input signal (0-10V). But when i change my input signal to a pulse signal (square wave 0-10V), the output frequency i get is incorrect. Why is this happen? Is this means the VFC LM331 only accept DC input signal but not a square pulse signal? Or is because of my circuit connection got problem?

Also when i connect the circuit and test it in practical, i cant get output frequency from the oscilloscope. I had check through many times the circuit, and i am sure the connection is correct when i connect it in my breadboard. And yet i still dun understand why the VFC LM331 is not functioning in practical. Why is this happen? Please help me

Attachments

• VFC.png
    VFC.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 192

Hi. If you intend to enable/disable frequency output, you might try to use a simple logic and circuit AFTER the output.

I wouldn't count on that it would work under square wave input, where it under normal circumstances would be some voltage.

Prototyp_V1.0,

What you mean by 'you might try to use a simple logic and circuit AFTER the output'?

Hi.

I mean just what I said. See drawing then if I didn't make make you understand.

Attachments

• and.png
    and.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 151

I dun know why i need a AND gate logic and a switch there?

Because the input is coming from my output of AD633 analog multiplier which is a square wave. The output of AD633 analog multiplier is converted into frequency. So the input to the frequency converter is a square wave =)

That's what I'm saying

Because the input is coming from my output of AD633 analog multiplier which is a square wave. The output of AD633 analog multiplier is converted into frequency. So the input to the frequency converter is a square wave =)

Take a look back to this post.

I think i got what you mean. The input after passing through the and logic and switch is actually same with a square wave input. But since the square wave input is not working, i dun think connecting a AND gate there will make the VFC working properly?

I think i got what you mean. The input after passing through the and logic and switch is actually same with a square wave input. But since the square wave input is not working, i dun think connecting a AND gate there will make the VFC working properly?
Your observations is correct. It won't work, and is not supposed to work with square wave input.

Ok.. the square wave input wont work for LM331. Can i convert the square wave input to a DC level signal? Say if i have a +1V high level and 0V low level square wave, how am i going to convert it to a DC level +1V signal? Any suggestion so that i can feed this input into my LM331?

Ok.. the square wave input wont work for LM331. Can i convert the square wave input to a DC level signal? Say if i have a +1V high level and 0V low level square wave, how am i going to convert it to a DC level +1V signal? Any suggestion so that i can feed this input into my LM331?
Yes you can convert it to dc. That's also very easy to do. You just make a RC low pass filter. Now you should know something about the input frequency to set the RC time constant to a propriate value.

Is low pass filter will give me the perfect DC level signal from a square waveform signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.