Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage Regulator Knob Type

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroEnthusiast

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When i check the input leads of the voltage regulator, i find it to be shorted.

I called a technician and he said that the compressor is faulty, and it needs to be replaced(for free) as i have a warranty on the product.

The voltage regulator has a knob in it. While shifting the refrigerator, the knob got broke, and with a subtle look, i saw that the technician was able to change the input resistance by turning the knob somehow. I had not analysed this before.

Should the compressor be replaced? Or is it the fault with the regulator? He unwired everything there and has taken a 4 day time to return.

Well if they are replacing it for free anyways, mine as well have him replace it just in case. It will eliminate a variable from the system and it will make it easier to trouble shoot the voltage regulator.

though he replaces for free, i need to pay the welding and dislodging charges.

my question is can just the voltage regulator be faulty?

there fault is not yet recognized. but the technician says that compressor is faulty. but i feel he said that just to make bucks.

Are you sure its a voltage regulator? Compressor motors can draw huge currents when they first start and often have a thermistor in series with them to reduce the inrush current. As the thermistor heats up, its resistance falls and the compressor then runs with normal voltage and current. This could be an electronic version for reducing the voltage on start up (and the current) and ramping it up slowly.
Frank
P.S. If a fridge has been moved out of the vertical, it should be left for 24 Hrs so the lubricating oil all gets back the sump in the bottom. Starting the compressor against oil will burn out the motor.

Are you sure its a voltage regulator? Compressor motors can draw huge currents when they first start and often have a thermistor in series with them to reduce the inrush current. As the thermistor heats up, its resistance falls and the compressor then runs with normal voltage and current. This could be an electronic version for reducing the voltage on start up (and the current) and ramping it up slowly.
Frank
P.S. If a fridge has been moved out of the vertical, it should be left for 24 Hrs so the lubricating oil all gets back the sump in the bottom. Starting the compressor against oil will burn out the motor.
Chuckey, i had moved the fridge from one point to another, just few yards apart. I think, the coil inside the compressor got shorted. However, a technician visited and had got it replaced when i was not there. I think, it was the fault of compressor.

I didn't know that, which oil are you talking about? I don't the thermistor will subdue the mains voltage. It might not interact directly with the mains voltage. Correct me if wrong.

The compressor is like a sinngle cylinder motorcycle engine with a piston going up and down in it. In the bottom of the compressor there is oil to lubricate the piston. If you put a fridge on its side the oil gets into the top of the cylinder, which should only have gas in it. As oil can not be compressed the compressor locks up and the motor stall, takes excessive current and burns out.

" I don't the thermistor will subdue the mains voltage. It might not interact directly with the mains voltage". I cannot under stand what you are on about. What I said about thermistors and the motor is true, what ever you feel.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.