Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

visual basic code for MCU to pc serial port connection ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnivesh

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to write program c for mcu en pc

I'm a beginner in mcu programming and want to write a simple visual basic application to interact with pic micro-controllers via pc serial port.

for that, I think, I need mscomms32.ocx in vb 6 (pro) compiler. I don't have visual studio 6 but I have access to visual studio.net. Can I use vb.net compiler to make that simple application just like vb 6 compiler ?

( I've heared that If I use vb .net then my application will run only if the pc has .net framework installed on it, but I want my application to be as simple as possible and portable to almost all windows os).

Please, explain me how can I write that application using .net studio or otherwise tell me about any open source compiler like visual basic, available for such applications.

thanx in advance
agnivesh

controlling mcu with serial port

this topic has been discussed a number of times so a simple search would be helpful. anyway the following links might be of help to you

http://www.rentron.com/sending_data.htm
http://www.rentron.com/receiving_data.htm

i havent worked with .net but i believe that VB.net is backwards compatible with VB6 so i think you can use the mscomm control in VB.net like you do in VB6.

now for the issue of distributing your application well, yes the target PC should have the DLLs necessary to run your app. when you make a standalone exe the required files are added to the exe so when you install it somewhere else it runs as expected

as for open source i would recommend that you switch over to C/C++. lots of open source tools and code available for C/C++. the topic of serial communications with C/C++ has also been discussed a number of times here so a search might be alot of help. you can even do make a GUI by using open source GUI toolkits or borland builder or microsoft visual C++. actually C language is a very flexible language which is being used on a great variety of platforms from high end workstations to 8 pin microcontrollers. so C is one thing that you must have in your toolbox!!!!!!

mcu to pc

samcheetah said:
i havent worked with .net but i believe that VB.net is backwards compatible with VB6 so i think you can use the mscomm control in VB.net like you do in VB6.

now for the issue of distributing your application well, yes the target PC should have the DLLs necessary to run your app. when you make a standalone exe the required files are added to the exe so when you install it somewhere else it runs as expected

yes vb.net is backward compatible (not completely) with vb6 .. but .. the installed application will require that .NET runtime be installed on client.

connectivity in visual basic coding

i need aregistered copy of ImageEnXLibrary.ocx >>>please any one help me!!

vb codes for com port pc to pc

Hi all,

i am new to programming in VisualC#.NET.

Is there any (simple) way in which i can access the COM port (read/write to XML device connected to it) using either Wndows Application (prefered) or Console Application!!

The "using System.IO.Ports" is not available in VS.NET 2003. Likewise the 'MSComm' control.

Please help.. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back