Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Virtual Earth and AGND, impact on low noise front end electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

riscy00

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have two design solution for low frequency (<1KHz) voltage signal amplifier, where instrument amp has fixed gain of x10 and x20 for low noise performance. The source impedance is quite low.

I have one design than work on +/-5V PSU where AGND is common/analogue ground plane, which attached to -VE of the instrument amp. It would requires +/-5V PSU.

The other design I could consider is to have single +10V PSU (which remove flyback transformer and use buck inductor) and have +5V virtual earth. The virtual earth would connects to -ve of the instrument amp.

The output signals goes to 12bit ADC (differential) that run on 0V to +5V.

My concern in understanding the behavior of the noise floor between two circuits, can any one advise or point to useful link, which measure the difference between these circuits.

Also should I modify the ground plane to virtual common (VIRCOM) plane for the analogue front end circuit, for example treating AGND as power track, VIRCOM as sheet plane, +10V as power track (4 layer PCB)

Thanks

In general a switching regulator (either flyback or buck) will have higher noise than a linear regulator and likely will increase the noise floor, unless you take great pains to filter and isolate the switching regulator. Otherwise a properly designed virtual ground (well decoupled to the analog ground) will have little effect on the noise as compared to a standard analog ground.

I would make both AGND and VIRCOM separate (or split) planes on the PCB, if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.