Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

View WiFi spectrum without switching noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron_do

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I want to view the spectrum from my Wifi radio card, but I don't want all of the switching noise. i.e. I only want the spectrum during the actual transmit intervals. Can anybody recommend the best possible way to do this, even if it requires expensive equipment? I understand it may require some kind of gating technique in the spectrum analyzer......

thanks,
Aaron

There is a 'poor man's spectrum analyzer' on the internet.

Do you have a way to make the wifi transmit continuously for a long time? I think that's what you need to do, to gather data uninterrupted across an entire frequency range.

I have a spectrum analyzer. The problem is exactly that I can't make the wifi transmit continuously. So how do I view the spectrum? With the Wifi signal turning on/off all the time, the switching can be seen as a modulation to the actual Wifi signal, and it causes the sidebands to look much worse than they actually are.

regards,
Aaron

It will keep a wifi active for a long time, if you download a long video. I have obtained hours-long videos (mostly Youtube) via this download site:

en.savefrom.net

1) Copy a desired Youtube link.
2) Paste it where the field says 'Just insert a link'.
3) Click the arrow at the right.
4) The site takes a few seconds to search for the video.
5) If it is successful, then it displays several formats.
6) If 'MP4 720p' is available then I choose that.

The bulk of wifi time is occupied by the router transmitting the file to the computer. From what I understand my computer transmits momentarily after each packet. It sends 'received' or else 'send again'. This takes a tiny percentage of wifi time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back