Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VFD clock on IW-18 tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vermes

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

It is a design of a clock based on old Soviet tube – IW-18. The main element of the system is Atmega8.

The housing was made of sizing of meranti wood and apple tree wood. Individual elements were brought on a lathe. The size of the housing is large due to the dimensions of the board (15x6,5cm). The body is 12cm in diameter and 19cm in length. It had to be bigger, because it is empty inside and so you do not have to be afraid it can be drilled through.

The clock is powered from a transformer, which was applied in ELWRO calculator, so there is no problem with supply of the glow and tube grids.

The board:

99_1264932567.jpg

The bottom side of the clock:

The buttons are placed on the bottom so the unnecessary holes do not worsen the look of the housing.

Link to original thread (useful attachment) – Zegar VFD na lampie IW-18 .

Nice.
Do you mean IN rather than IW.
I have made a few nixie clocks, but as usual those that build them from scratch put them in less nice cases.
I have a similar tube to that, its a little smaller than the popular ice tube clock, I have written a radio controlled program for it and protoyped it with an led display but never got round to building the final design with the tube.

What did you use for the voltage inverter, a 555 or a proprietry power supply chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.