Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Very Low Jitter PLL Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanchg

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have been assigned a task to do a competitive study on very low jitter PLL's. The PLL has tight specs of 25ps peak-to-peak jitter in 0.13u digital CMOS process.

1)How feasible is it? If I use ring-oscillator based VCO, can I meet these specs? How much we can achieve by using a separate voltage regulator for this VCO?

2) If I use LC based VCO, can I achieve these specs? The inductor layout in LC based oscillator in most of the 0.13u process becomes challenging coz of lack of top-thick metal to achieve high Q factor... So is there any other solution?

I hope my query can be answered..

Best,
Chanchg

I have been tasked also to do a low jitter PLL in 130nm. You can't quite get there with a Ring VCO unless you burn tens of mA in VCO current. You will probably need a spiral inductor osc with thick top layer metal.

This one is not too bad. you can do RO. Just make sure you make it rail to rail swing, use min # of stages (if doing single ended) and put a regulator on the Vcc.

This is something like 2-2.4ps rms depending upon your BER requirment

Status
Not open for further replies.